China billionaire rich list grows to 49 moreOctober 29th, 2010 - 6:13 pm ICT by ANI
Shanghai, Oct. 29 (ANI): China now has 128 billionaires, which is 49 more that what the country had at this time last year.
According to the China Daily, nine of these 49 billionaires are below the age of 40, and 11 of them women.
The southern town of Shenzhen leads the pack with 17 billionaires, followed by Beijing, with 15 and Shanghai, 10. Topping the list is 65-year-old Zong Qinghou, chairman of the leading food and beverage company Wahaha Group, whose wealth has jumped to eight billion dollars from 4.8 billion dollars last year. Zong also topped the Hurun Rich List 2010, which came out earlier this month.
Robin Li, co-founder of search engine Baidu Inc, is in second place, with a net worth of 7.2 billion dollars, while Liang Wengen, co-founder of the heavy machinery manufacturer Sany Group, with a net worth of 5.9 billion dollars is in third place.
Journalist-turned-property tycoon Wu Yajun is now the country’s richest woman, coming in at No 8 on the list, up from No 29 last year. She has a net worth of 4.7 billion dollars, which is shared with her family.
Shares in Wu’s Longfor Properties have been up 30 percent since it went public at the Hong Kong Exchanges last year.
Forbes Asia magazine has published this detail in its annual list of China’s 400 richest (calculated in US dollars).
It said that China’s wealthiest are getting richer: the minimum needed to make the top 400 list has risen to 425 million dollars from last year’s 300 million dollars.
“China is leading the world in initial public offerings (IPO) this year. The explosion of wealth and the number of billionaires this year is closely linked to the large number of IPOs by Chinese companies in the past year,” the China Daily quoted Russell Flannery, a senior editor at Forbes and chief of its Shanghai Bureau. (ANI)
- China's Zhang Yin is world's richest woman - Oct 13, 2010
- China has 189 billionaires - Oct 12, 2010
- 83 people on Hurun rich list have $1.5 trillion - Mar 06, 2012
- Beverage giant chief becomes China's richest man - Sep 30, 2010
- Car battery tycoon tops China's rich list - Nov 05, 2009
- 11 of the world's top 20 wealthiest self-made women are Chinese - Oct 13, 2010
- Lakshmi Mittal replaces Mukesh Ambani as world's richest Indian - Mar 10, 2011
- Two IITians among 400 richest Americans - Sep 22, 2011
- Thai Indian entrepreneur's wealth soars by 252 percent - Sep 02, 2010
- Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani amongst Forbes top ten Billionaires - Mar 11, 2010
- Mukesh Ambani richest among 48 Indian billionaires - Mar 08, 2012
- Gates, Buffet in Indian capital with their 'Giving Pledge' - Mar 24, 2011
- Bill Gates stays richest American for 17th year in a row - Sep 23, 2010
- Mukesh Ambani again tops list of richest Indians - Sep 30, 2010
- Five Indian Americans among Forbes 400 richest - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: asia magazine, baidu, beverage company, billion dollars, billionaires, china daily, chinese companies, family shares, heavy machinery, hong kong exchanges, initial public offerings, machinery manufacturer, property tycoon, rich list, richest woman, s 300, s 400, shanghai bureau, wahaha group, wengen