China announces 410mn-dollar assistance for Pakistan flood victimsDecember 18th, 2010 - 6:14 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Dec 18 (ANI): China has announced a ten-million-dollar grant for the citizens compensation programme for Pakistan flood victims, and a 400-million-dollar concession loan to help meet their needs.
Speaking at the National Disastrous Management Authority (NDMA), Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao said China would continue to help Pakistan in the post-disaster phase of the floods, the Dawn reported.
China would also provide resources and technical support to Pakistan for disaster prevention and forecasting technology that would help in better handling of such situations in future, he added.
Jiabao said the major areas to be covered in his Pakistan visit included the repairing of damaged infrastructure, roads and the rehabilitation of the flood victims.
He said China had the expertise in dealing with situations like the expanding of Attabad lake, and would send its experts to address the perils arising from the lake along the Karakoram Highway.
Speaking on the occasion, Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani thanked the Chinese government and people for helping Pakistan in the critical hour.
Gilani said that twenty million people were left homeless due to the unprecedented floods that affected the entire country, and that the government was giving 1,250 dollars to each affected family whose house had been damaged in the floods.
He also appealed to the world to contribute to the government’s national programme for cash compensation. (ANI)
- Pakistan to restore highway with China's help - Jul 29, 2011
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- Pakistan floods: Toll rises to 412 - Sep 25, 2011
- China and Pakistan to strengthen bilateral cooperation in diverse areas - Dec 18, 2010
- China vows support for Pakistan's post-flood reconstruction - Nov 12, 2010
- Fear of flash floods in Gilgit-Baltistan as Attabad Lake starts overflowing - May 29, 2010
- World Bank approves 125-mn-dollar support for Pakistan flood victims - Mar 31, 2011
- China's firm policy to deepen Pakistan ties: Wen (Lead) - Dec 18, 2010
- Pakistan seeks UN help for early weather warning system - Oct 06, 2011
- Pakistan wants more flood money as Rs.5 bn lies unutilised - Sep 19, 2011
- Pakistan owes $53 bn foreign debt - Dec 24, 2010
- 209 dead in floods in Pakistan's Sindh - Sep 12, 2011
- 'Foreign aid for flood-hit Pakistan inadequate' - Sep 27, 2011
- China to give $5 million more for Pakistan's flood victims - Oct 07, 2011
- US gives $193 mn for Pakistan's flood-hit families - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: cash compensation, chinese government, chinese prime minister, citizens, concession, dawn, disaster prevention, flood victims, floods, forecasting technology, gilani, infrastructure, karakoram highway, management authority, national programme, pakistan visit, perils, raza, wen jiabao, yousuf