CENTCOM chief discusses US-Pak military cooperation with WynneApril 8th, 2011 - 12:57 pm ICT by ANI
Rawalpindi, April 8(ANI): United States Central Command (CENTCOM) chief General James Mattis has discussed bilateral issues with Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Khalid Shameem Wynne in separate meetings.
General Mattis, who arrived in Islamabad on Wednesday evening for talks with the top brass of the Pakistani military on ‘operational matters’, called on General Kayani on Thursday.
“The visiting dignitary remained with him for some time and discussed the matters of mutual interest,” the Inter Services Public Relations said in a press release.
General Mattis also called on General Wynne at Joint Staff Headquarters in Chaklala the same day, and discussed the “regional security situation and other matters of professional interest, including the situation in Afghanistan, and US-Pakistan bilateral military cooperation,” the ISPR said.
According to defence sources, both the high ups agreed that military assistance between the US and Pakistan would be further bolstered, Online News reported.
General Wynne briefed the CENTCOM chief on a number of issues, stressing that Pakistan has played a gigantic role in the war against terrorism, and that its sacrifices and services were hard to count.
General Mattis highly acclaimed the role of the Pakistan Army, adding that it had always stood like a rock to fight tooth and nail against militants.
The role of Pakistan Army is impregnable, he said, adding that the US would keep on supporting it through thick and thin to cater to its defence needs. (ANI)
- US general meets Pakistani army officials - Jul 14, 2011
- Pakistan's chief of defence staff to visit US - Oct 21, 2011
- Kayani, top US official have short, crisp talk - Apr 26, 2011
- ISAF commander meets Pakistan Army chief - Jul 15, 2011
- Top Pakistan Army officers meet - Aug 11, 2012
- Gilani meets defence chiefs; Kayani talks with Zardari (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- ISI chief to visit US - Jul 13, 2011
- Pakistan military official meets Zardari - Oct 14, 2011
- Pak military indirectly rejects damning US 'war on terror' report, ISI double-game - Apr 27, 2011
- Amid tensions, ISI chief to visit US (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- ISI chief leaves for Washington for day's visit (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani, Kayani discuss secret memo to US - Nov 17, 2011
- UAE discusses military issues with foreign officials - Nov 15, 2011
- US to supply 85 drones to Pakistan - Apr 22, 2011
- Joint chiefs of staff committee chairman calls on Zardari - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: ashfaq, bilateral issues, chief general, chiefs of staff, defence sources, dignitary, general james mattis, general mattis, inter services, ispr, joint chiefs of staff, joint staff, kayani, military cooperation, operational matters, pakistan army, pakistani military, professional interest, staff committee, staff headquarters