Cargo plane crashes in Karachi, eight dead (Second Lead)November 28th, 2010 - 5:25 am ICT by IANS
Karachi, Nov 28 (IANS) A cargo plane crashed near Pakistan’s Karachi airport early Sunday, killing all eight crew members on board, Geo TV reported.
The Russian-made plane IL-76 crashed around 1:45 a.m. and immediately caught fire. The aircraft crashed near Dalmiya road in Gulshan-i-Jamal area which is close to a naval colony and the southern command of Pakistani air force.
Spokesman of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Pervez Jeorge told Dawn TV: “The Sudan-bound plane crashed two minutes after taking off from Karachi terminal. The pilot did not report any fault before the crash.”
The nationalities of the deceased passengers were not known.
Residents said the engine of the aircraft caught fire and it came down on an under-construction building.
Nearly a month ago, a small aircraft crashed in Karachi killing all 12 people on board while in July, an airblue flight taking off from Karachi crashed in Margalla hills near Islamabad, killing around 130 people.
- 11 killed in Russian cargo plane crash in Karachi (Third Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Eight killed in Pakistan plane crash (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Cargo plane crashes in Pakistan - Nov 28, 2010
- Planes come under tight scrutiny in Pakistan - Nov 30, 2010
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Charter plane crashes in Pakistan's Karachi, killing 21 people - Nov 05, 2010
- Pakistan grounds all private jets for checks - Apr 24, 2012
- Pressure fault caused Islamabad crash: Pak CAA official - Jul 29, 2010
- Passenger plane crashes near Pakistani capital of Islamabad, many killed (Updated) - Apr 20, 2012
- 8 dead, 7 injured in cargo plane crash in Karachi residential area - Nov 28, 2010
- Plane catches fire in Pakistan - Jul 30, 2010
- 20 killed in Karachi plane crash (Fourth Lead) - Nov 05, 2010
- Black box of ill-fated plane found (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Large cargo plane crashes in Karachi, killing at least 10 - Nov 28, 2010
- President Obama expresses condolences over Airblue plane crash in Pakistan - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: caa, cargo plane crashes, civil aviation authority, crash, crew members, dawn, geo tv, jeorge, karachi airport, margalla hills, nationalities, pakistan, pakistani air force, pervez, pilot, small aircraft, spokesman, sudan, two minutes