Canada blacklists Pakistan TalibanJuly 6th, 2011 - 12:06 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, July 6 (IANS) Canada Tuesday blacklisted the Pakistan Taliban as a terrorist organisation.
The US had designated the outfit - known as the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) - as a foreign terrorist organisation (FTO) last year.
Joining the US Tuesday, Canada said the TTP is a terrorist outfit under the Criminal code of Canada.
Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said: “Fighting terrorism is one of the most important challenges we face as a nation. The threat is real, persistent, and evolving, and we remain vigilant in confronting it.”
“Listing Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, an organization that has claimed responsibility for multiple suicide attacks in Pakistan and the attempted bombing of Times Square in New York City in May 2010, is an essential part of our efforts to combat terrorism and keep our communities safe,” the minister said.
In Canada, the TTP is suspected to be behind a plot foiled by the police under “Project Samosa” last August when three Canadian Muslims were arrested with huge quantities of circuit boards to trigger improvised explosive devices, drawings and videos.
Operating mostly from the federally administered tribal area (FATA) of Pakistan, the TTP is targeting Pakistani government for its support to the US-led forces in Afghanistan and drone attacks inside Pakistan.
Tuesday also marked the end of the Canadian mission in Afghanistan.
Canada, which joined the US-led Nato forces in 2002, has lost 157 soldiers in the mission.
The TTP joins the Babbar Khalsa, the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and other militant outfits banned by Canada since 2006.
- Pakistan turns 'new front line' of war on terror - Jul 07, 2011
- Influential Pak politicians helping Taliban carry out terror strikes, claims terror suspect - Nov 17, 2010
- Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claims responsibility for Lahore attacks - Sep 03, 2010
- Pakistan Taliban warns MPs against NATO supply restoration - Mar 26, 2012
- TTP blames Blackwater, PPP, ANP for terror strikes across NWFP - Apr 21, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban leader forms splinter group - Jun 28, 2011
- Pakistan mosque blast toll reaches 36 - Feb 18, 2012
- Key Taliban leader arrested in Islamabad - Jul 03, 2011
- Indian, Canadian Idol contestant held in Al Qaeda terror plot (Lead) - Aug 26, 2010
- Indian linked to new Al-Qaeda plot unearthed in Canada - Aug 26, 2010
- Family of Indian jailed in Spain to move European court - Mar 29, 2012
- Dreaded Pak Taliban Chief claims to create suicide bombers in just half-an-hour - Feb 05, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban pledge revenge for Osama's death - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan Taliban threaten US, Pak over Osama bin Laden's killing - May 02, 2011
- US designates Pakistani Taliban as terror organization - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: babbar khalsa, blacklisted, blacklists, criminal code of canada, drone, explosive devices, fata, fighting terrorism, fto, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, militant outfits, nato forces, pakistani government, suicide attacks, terrorist organisation, times square, tribal area, ttp, vic toews