Call for joint action on bird flu, other veterinary diseases by SAARC nationsJune 9th, 2008 - 6:57 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , June 9 (ANI): A two-day South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) conference of Chiefs of Veterinary Services began here today with a call to tackle bird flu and other trans-boundary animal diseases jointly.
Inaugurating the conference, Secretary (Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries) Dr. Pradeep Kumar offered to share with SAARC nations, India s laboratories and expertise in prevention and control of diseases like bird flu.
Dr. Kumar argued that all SAARC nations have similar livestock systems and economic and social realities and all the nations suffer from inadequacies of veterinary infrastructure and shortage of technical manpower. It is, therefore, imperative that they share veterinary information and know-how with neighboring countries, especially in dealing with trans-boundary diseases.
Emphasising that diseases spread between the countries without caring for borders, more so when there is steady movement of people and goods across the borders, Dr. Kumar called upon the delegates to evolve an action plan to tackle trans-boundary animal diseases.
Sharing of information immediately on onset of a major disease in a country is of paramount importance in checking spread of such a disease.
There is scope for coordination among SAARC nations in all areas of veterinary science ranging from capacity building, diagnosis and prophylaxis, to edidemiology, he said.
Chiefs of Veterinary Services from all SAARC countries are participating in the conference. (ANI)
- Saarc nations should fight animal diseases together: India - Jun 09, 2008
- Make poultry farming in northeast more scientific: Aviation flu experts - Apr 22, 2012
- 'System needed to prevent zoonotic diseases in South Asia' - Aug 04, 2012
- Strategy needed to tackle zoonotic diseases, say experts - Jul 31, 2012
- Tripura, Mizoram on bird flu alert - Feb 25, 2011
- Seminar on containment of avian flu held in Siliguri - Jan 16, 2010
- Livestock boom worsening epidemics risks globally - Feb 14, 2011
- Meghalaya sounds alert on bird flu - Feb 18, 2011
- Bird flu panic abates in Meghalaya - Feb 11, 2012
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- South Asian nations for early warning system on bird flu - Jun 10, 2008
- Disinfection in Meghalaya bird flu-hit area completed - Jan 22, 2012
- Bihar SOS to centre on tackling bird flu - Mar 09, 2012
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: animal diseases, animal husbandry, bird flu, conference secretary, dairying, dr kumar, inadequacies, livestock systems, paramount importance, pradeep kumar, saarc countries, saarc nations, social realities, south asian association, south asian association for regional cooperation, technical manpower, veterinary diseases, veterinary information, veterinary science, veterinary services