Cairn India signs oil exploration pact with Sri LankaJuly 7th, 2008 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 7 (IANS) Cairn India Ltd Monday entered into an agreement with the Sri Lankan government to explore the oil and gas deposits in the north-western Mannar gulf of the island, Sri Lanka’s minister of petroleum resources A.H.M. Fowzie said. “Today we signed an agreement with Cairn India, formally offering them the rights to explore oil and gas deposits at block one in the Gulf of Mannar,” Fowzie told IANS just after signing the agreement at Temple Trees, the Sri Lankan prime minister’s official residence.
Indrajit Banerjee, a Cairn India director, signed the agreement with Fowzie in the presence of President Mahinda Rajapaksa, Prime Minister Ratnasiri Wickramanayake and several cabinet ministers.
Fowzie said the company has handed over a cheque for $1 million to the government.
Eight blocks have been identified for oil exploration in the Mannar Gulf, with Cairn India getting block-one. The government has decided to call tenders for other blocks also.
The minister said arrangements have been made to accelerate all activities related to Cairn, which is expected to commence exploration by early next year.
Annually, Sri Lanka consumes not less than four million tonnes of fuel products for various purposes and is totally dependent on imports.
With global oil prices soaring, Sri Lanka announced a dramatic fuel price revision late last month with 90 octane petrol now costing 157 Sri Lankan rupees per litre, as compared to 127 Sri Lankan rupees before the price hike.
- Sri lanka finds first gas field off Mannar - Oct 03, 2011
- Cairn India starts oil exploration in Sri Lanka - Aug 06, 2011
- Sri Lanka says gas field found in northwestern sea - Oct 03, 2011
- Indian company drills second oil well in Sri Lanka - Oct 22, 2011
- Sri Lanka to call for oil exploration bids - Oct 06, 2011
- Sri Lanka expects Cairn India to extract oil by 2010 (Lead) - Jul 07, 2008
- Cairn India and PetroSA deal on oil exploration in South Africa - Aug 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka, Vietnam ink oil deal - Oct 14, 2011
- Cairns India wins oil exploration bid in Sri Lanka - Jun 06, 2008
- Supreme Court to hear PIL against Cairn-Vedanta deal - Feb 27, 2012
- Fuel price hike a necessity but no decision yet: Jaipal Reddy - May 22, 2012
- Sri Lanka fishermen clash with cops over fuel price hike - Feb 15, 2012
- Sri Lanka concerned over Indian n-plants - Apr 08, 2012
- ONGC Videsh inks deal with PetroVietnam - Oct 12, 2011
- Turkmenistan gas pipeline transit fee finalised: Minister - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: cabinet ministers, cairn india ltd, fuel price, fuel products, global oil prices, gulf of mannar, india signs, indrajit, mahinda rajapaksa, oil and gas, oil exploration, petrol, petroleum resources, president mahinda rajapaksa, price hike, price revision, sri lanka colombo, sri lankan government, sri lankan rupees, temple trees