Bus accident in northern Pakistan kills 6, injures 23January 17th, 2012 - 11:17 pm ICT by BNO News
SWAT, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) — At least six people were killed on Monday when a speeding minibus overturned in northern Pakistan, police said on Tuesday. More than 20 others were injured.
The accident happened on a road in Dadahara, located in Swat valley, when a minibus lost control at a sharp turn and skidded off a hill, causing it to overturn. Photos from the scene showed the heavily damaged vehicle on its roof with parts of the seating area crushed.
Police sources told the Express Tribune newspaper that six people were killed, including a woman and three children. In addition, 23 others were injured, including eight who were said to be in a critical condition.
Officials said the driver of the bus was speeding at the time of the accident.
Road accidents are common in Pakistan with more than 5,500 fatalities in 2007, according to the most recent figures released by national police. Many accidents are the result of poor infrastructure and the disregard of traffic laws.
On November 13, at least 23 people were killed when a van collided head-on with a passenger bus on a highway near the historic town of Thatta in Sindh province. The speeding passenger van was attempting to overpass a bus when it crashed into a bus coming from the opposite direction.
And in late September, at least 38 people were killed when a school bus carrying more than 100 young people overturned near the town of Kallar Kahar in Pakistan’s Punjab province. Around 70 others were injured.
- Pakistan: Seven passengers die after bus driver falls asleep - Apr 12, 2012
- 22 killed in road accident in southern Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- 15 dead, 30 wounded in Pakistan bus accident - May 26, 2012
- 38 die in Pakistan school bus accident - Sep 27, 2011
- At least 21 killed in Zimbabwe bus accident - Apr 17, 2012
- Thirteen die after bus overturns in eastern Zimbabwe - Aug 03, 2011
- 46 die in road accidents across 3 states (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Minibus carrying preschoolers collides with truck in NW China, killing 20 - Nov 16, 2011
- 20 killed in South Africa accident - Nov 15, 2011
- Bus accident kills 14, injures 45 in southwestern Uganda - Sep 19, 2012
- Nine killed in China road accident - Aug 17, 2012
- Indonesia: 14 dead, 40 injured in West Java bus accident - Feb 11, 2012
- 18 killed in Maharashtra bus accident - May 28, 2012
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Passenger bus overturns in southeast Kenya, killing 12 - Apr 02, 2012
Tags: bno, bus accident, critical condition, disregard, kahar, late september, national police, northern pakistan, overpass, passenger bus, photos, police sources, poor infrastructure, punjab province, road accidents, school bus, sharp turn, swat valley, thatta, traffic laws