BSF trooper killed on Kashmir border, tensions up (Lead)July 7th, 2010 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 7 (IANS) Another Border Security Force (BSF) trooper has been killed in firing from across the international border in Jammu and Kashmir, the second incident of ceasefire violation, official sources said Wednesday.
The Pakistan Rangers opened fire at the Indian border post of Chag Phagwari in Akhnoor, 45 km northwest of Jammu, at 11.30 p.m. Tuesday, killing BSF constable Hari Prasad.
Early Tuesday, another BSF trooper, head constable Sultan Ali was killed at the Chak Sagwali post in Pargwal area in Pakistani firing.
Firing from Pakistan, in violation of the November 2003 ceasefire agreement, has become a regular feature, experts said, adding that tensions at the border were high.
“Although we had tried to tell Pakistanis at a flag meeting yesterday that their actions were creating an hostile environment on the borders, yet they repeated their hostile action Tuesday night,” a BSF official told IANS.
A.K. Surolia, the inspector general of BSF, Jammu Frontier, said they were trying out to find a motive for the frequent ceasefire violations by Pakistan.
“This is quite unfortunate,” Surolia told IANS. “It runs against our efforts to maintain peace on borders.”
Pakistani troops, officials said, were also violating the ceasefire at the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Jammu and Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
They had fired on Indian positions in Krishna Ghati sector in Mendhar area of Poonch district, 210 km north of Jammu, Tuesday evening.
- Pakistan violates ceasefire again, BSF trooper killed - Jul 07, 2010
- Indian Army lodges protest with Pakistan on ceasefire violations - Jul 18, 2010
- Trooper killed in firing from Pakistan (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
- BSF trooper hurt in Pakistani firing - Jul 21, 2010
- 2 BSF Jawans killed, civilians hurt in Pak firing - Jul 07, 2010
- BSF trooper killed in cross border firing in Jammu - Aug 17, 2012
- Pakistan Rangers violate ceasefire in Jammu-Kashmir's R S Pura Sector - Jul 21, 2010
- DG BSF pays floral tribute to jawan killed in Akhnoor's Pargwal sector - Jul 07, 2010
- India warns Pakistan against ceasefire violations - May 15, 2011
- Firing from Pakistan worries Indians residing along border - Jul 09, 2010
- BSF trooper injured in cross-border firing near Jammu - Aug 11, 2012
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan violates ceasefire, BSF jawan injured - Jul 21, 2010
- Infiltration bid foiled near India-Pakistan border - Jan 09, 2010
- Three BSF men injured in Pakistani firing - Dec 19, 2009
Tags: border post, border security force, border tensions, bsf official, ceasefire agreement, ceasefire violations, early tuesday, feature experts, ghati, head constable, hostile action, hostile environment, india and pakistan, indian border, international border, jammu and kashmir, pakistan rangers, pakistani troops, poonch, sultan ali