BSF stops Bangladeshi tribals’ bid to enter IndiaAugust 5th, 2012 - 5:23 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Aug 5 (IANS) The Border Security Force (BSF) has foiled an attempt by over 250 Chakma tribals, including women and children, from Bangladesh to enter India after their homes were attacked, an officer said Sunday.
The BSF troopers have provided food and drinking water to these Chakma tribals, who gathered Saturday night opposite the border Silachari village in south Tripura, 225 km southeast of here.
“The tribals, belonged to Buddhist Chakma tribes, fled from their homes in Chittagong Hill Tracts in southeast Bangladesh after they were attacked by the non-tribals since Friday,” a BSF officer told IANS on condition of anonymity.
He said that the troopers of the Border Guard Bangladesh have been persuading the tribals to return their homes.
In 1986, over 74,000 tribals, mostly Buddhist Chakmas, had sheltered in India’s southern Tripura following the violent attacks on thousands of tribals by the non-tribals.
Demanding a sovereign status for the tribals in Chittagong Hill Tracts, separatist outfit Shanti Bahini had waged a bloody guerrilla warfare against the Bangladesh government.
All the 74,000 refugees had returned to their homes in in 1997-1998 after the Bangladesh government had signed a peace agreement with the Shanti Bahini.
- Border troubles remain as India, Bangladesh reach out - Mar 02, 2010
- Abducted Tripura tribals flee rebels' camp in Bangladesh - Dec 02, 2011
- Chakmas urge Dhaka to protect tribals in Bangladesh - Apr 19, 2011
- No trace of hostages, fencing work stops - Apr 02, 2012
- Dismantle militant camps, BSF to urge Bangladesh counterparts - Dec 08, 2011
- NLFT guerrillas abduct five Tripura farmers - Sep 01, 2010
- 31 Myanmar nationals held in Tripura - Dec 17, 2011
- 16 Tripura terrorists flee Bangladeshi camps, surrender - Aug 11, 2010
- Abducted Tripura tribals taken to Bangladesh - Dec 10, 2010
- Rights group asks UN to intervene in attacks on Bangladeshi tribals - Feb 22, 2010
- Bangladesh assures firm action against Indian insurgents - Dec 13, 2011
- Bangladesh frees three Indians after seven months - Aug 14, 2012
- Eight tribal separatists arrested in Tripura - Dec 26, 2009
- Youth killed in Bangladesh violence - Jun 03, 2010
- Militants kidnap three CPI-M activists in Tripura - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,