BSF seizes 31 kg heroin in PunjabJuly 3rd, 2010 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Gurdaspur (Punjab), July 3 (IANS) In a major recovery along the border with Pakistan, the Border Security Force (BSF) Saturday recovered 31 kg of heroin here in Punjab, officials said here.
The heroin stock, said to be worth over Rs.31 crore in the international market, was found by the intelligence wing of the BSF near Channa post in Gurdaspur, 275 km from Chandigarh.
The consignment was hidden along the bed of Ravi river that flows along the border between India and Pakistan. The BSF launched a search in the area following a tip that a drug consignment was being delivered.
“No arrests have been made. The consignment seemed to have been abandoned by people from across the border,” a BSF official told IANS.
The 553-km barbed wire fenced border between both countries is used by smugglers. Most of the heroin and other drugs come from Afghanistan through Pakistan.
Punjab has emerged as a major transit and destination point for the drugs trade. Drug addition is prevalent among youth and people in rural areas of the state.
- BSF seizes 31 kg heroin at Punjab border (Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- Sharp hike in heroin smuggling across Punjab border - Aug 21, 2012
- 15 kg heroin found near India-Pakistan border - Oct 04, 2011
- BSF kills three smugglers on Indo-Pak border in Punjab - Mar 29, 2012
- BSF recovers 15 kg heroin at Indo-Pak border - Feb 25, 2010
- Fogged out at India-Pakistan border, but tea keeps spirits high - Dec 31, 2010
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal asks centre to check drug smuggling - Sep 03, 2012
- BSF seizes 12 kg of heroin on Punjab border - Apr 24, 2012
- Pakistani intruder held in Punjab - Jul 19, 2011
- Drugs in Punjab prisons trigger police fight (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 24, 2012
- Two Pakistani smugglers killed on Punjab border - Mar 26, 2010
- BSF kills intruder in Punjab, 17 kg heroin seized - Jan 18, 2012
- Heroin worth Rs.25 crore seized, two held in Punjab - Oct 28, 2009
Tags: afghanistan, barbed wire, border security force, bsf official, consignment, crore, destination point, drug addition, drugs, gurdaspur, heroin, india and pakistan, intelligence wing, kg, punjab officials, ravi river, rural areas, smugglers, stock