BSF officer killed in firing from Pakistan sideSeptember 20th, 2011 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Sep 20 (IANS) A Border Security Force (BSF) officer leading a patrol was killed in a burst of gunfire from across the international border with Pakistan near Jammu Tuesday afternoon, an official said.
BSF Deputy Inspector General (DIG) J.S. Oberoi told IANS that Sub- Inspector Ramchandra Singh Rana was leading a patrol near Gallar post on the international border with Pakistan, about 45 km south of Jammu, Tuesday afternoon.
“Suddenly around 4 p.m., a burst shot from Pakistan side across the IB hit Rana. He got serious injuries and was declared dead on reaching Samba district hospital,” the DIG said.
The BSF retaliated the fire which went on for over 15 minutes. According to the DIG, the killed sub-inspector of the BSF was from Dehradun.
The BSF has termed this as yet another violation of the ceasefire agreement with Pakistan since November 2003.
According to the Indian defence ministry, there have been over 200 incidents of ceasefire violations since 2006, majority of which were cover fire to help infiltration of militants.
- BSF trooper injured in cross-border firing near Jammu - Aug 11, 2012
- India warns Pakistan against ceasefire violations - May 15, 2011
- BSF trooper killed in cross border firing in Jammu - Aug 17, 2012
- Tunnel incident against India-Pakistan CBMs - Aug 02, 2012
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Dec 29, 2010
- Infiltration bid foiled, Pakistan opens fire at the Jammu and Kashmir border - Dec 22, 2009
- Pakistan violates ceasefire again, BSF trooper killed - Jul 07, 2010
- One soldier killed after India, Pakistan exchange border fire - May 15, 2011
- Pakistan Army, Rangers fire on Indian posts on LoC, border (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Indian, Pakistani forces exchange fire, infiltration foiled (Second Lead) - May 01, 2010
- BSF trooper killed on Kashmir border, tensions up (Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012
- Trooper killed in firing from Pakistan (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
- Pakistani Rangers fire on Indian post on Independence Day - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: 15 minutes, border security force, bsf, burst of gunfire, ceasefire agreement, ceasefire violations, defence ministry, deputy inspector general, indian defence, infiltration, international border, oberoi, pakistan side, rana, samba, tuesday afternoon