Brits making beeline for breaking into cushy UK prisons!June 4th, 2008 - 4:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 4 (ANI): Prisoners in the UK certainly dont look forward to the day they will be released for that means leaving behind a very cushy cell and all its amenities. In fact, UK prisons are so comfortable, that dozens of people have been caught trying to break into them instead of out of them.
And, if you think this is a joke, well think again, for the figures were released by none other than the UKs Justice Secretary Jack Straw.
According to the figures, 37,000 inmates eligible for early release declined to apply for the perk between 1999 and 2006.
And, 42 people between 2003 and 2008, have actually been caught trying to get into the prisons, that some conservatives say are effectively “expensive bed and breakfasts”.
They also blame the current situation on the Labour governments mismanagement.
“Labour’s mismanagement of prisons is descending from tragedy to farce. How secure are our jails if criminals can break into them? Whether these are offenders trying to return to jail, as prison officers have alleged, or dealers trying to traffic drugs, it is ludicrous that supposedly secure establishments can be breached in this way,” the Telegraph quoted Nick Herbert, the shadow justice secretary, as saying.
The report comes on the heels of prisoners telling Straw that conditions in jails were like a “holiday camp”.
“Prisoners receive a wage for being in prison, they receive a bed, a TV in all cells, Sky television in most areas for recreational use, free telephones, breakfast in bed on many occasions, cash bonuses for good behaviour. And prison staff are forced to deal with them in such a subservient way. It’s ridiculous,” said Glyn Travis, the assistant general secretary of the Prison Officers’ Association. (ANI)
- UK's hardened criminals having a ball with TV and breakfast in bed! - Apr 17, 2009
- British jail where prisoners enjoy adult DVDs - Jul 30, 2012
- Jack Straw has forgotten how to drive after 13 yrs of being chauffeured! - Mar 20, 2011
- 11 caught trying to escape Iraq jail - Aug 07, 2012
- Inmates too comfy to seek escape from Brit jails! - Apr 25, 2008
- Cameron says Lockerbie bomber Al Megrahi should have been left in jail to die - Jul 21, 2010
- Brit prisons in grip of a booming drug trade - Jun 23, 2008
- Carrying knife in Britain rarely invites jail - Sep 02, 2011
- Now in UK, one in three sex offenders, muggers will get right to vote - Jan 06, 2011
- Prisoners being let out overnight to ease overcrowding in British jails - Nov 16, 2009
- The World's nicest prison is located in Bastoy - May 25, 2012
- 200 prisoners in UK including murderers, sex offenders released "in error" since 2005 - Nov 30, 2009
- Probe ordered against Punjab jail official - May 07, 2012
- Bangladeshi prisoners embroider a new life in Jammu jail (Feature) - May 10, 2012
- Scottish Govt. denies striking deal with Libya over Lockerbie bomber's release - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: bed and breakfasts, beeline, breakfast in bed, camp prisoners, cash bonuses, farce, free telephones, general secretary, good behaviour, holiday camp, jack straw, jails, labour governments, mismanagement, nick herbert, prison officers association, prison staff, sky television, uk prisons, uks