British prime minister begins Pakistan visit (Lead)April 5th, 2011 - 12:50 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 5 (IANS) British Prime Minister David Cameron arrived in Islamabad Tuesday on a day-long visit during which he will hold talks on bilateral and regional issues with his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani and President Asif Ali Zardari.
Cameron visited a mosque and a school in Islamabad shortly after his arrival.
The two countries are expected to initiate an enhanced strategic dialogue.
“Pakistan attaches considerable importance to the British prime minister’s visit and to the close cooperative relationship with the United Kingdom,” Xinhua quoted foreign ministry spokesperson Tehmina Janjua as saying.
Cameron is accompanied by security and defence officials, who will discuss anti-terror cooperation with their Pakistani counterparts.
Britain has already announced doubling of its development aid to Pakistan over the next four years, which will make Pakistan the biggest recipient of its foreign aid by 2015, receiving 446 million pounds ($718 million) assistance per year.
- Britain may hand over Musharraf to Pakistan: Cameron (Second Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- British PM to visit Pakistan Tuesday - Apr 04, 2011
- David Cameron to visit Pakistan today - Apr 05, 2011
- British PM begins Pakistan visit - Apr 05, 2011
- Pak, UK to initiate 'enhanced strategic dialogue' during Cameron's Islamabad trip - Apr 03, 2011
- Pakistan's foreign office spokeswoman new envoy to Italy - Jul 11, 2011
- Pakistan wants hurdles in US ties removed - Aug 11, 2011
- Pak terms 'cricket diplomacy' meeting with India as win-win situation for both nations - Apr 01, 2011
- Pakistan rejects claim of ISI hand in Rabanni killing - Oct 03, 2011
- Gilani-Manmohan Singh likely to meet in November: Pakistan - Oct 27, 2011
- Pakistan plays down Afghan-India strategic pact - Oct 06, 2011
- Gilani to visit Britain in May - Apr 12, 2012
- Pak demands US' apology and explanation over drone attacks in Waziristan - Mar 18, 2011
- Pakistan to evacuate citizens from Libya - Feb 28, 2011
- Pakistan seeks full membership of Shanghai group - Jun 13, 2011
Tags: asif ali zardari, british prime minister, cooperation, cooperative relationship, counterpart, counterparts, david cameron, defence officials, dialogue, foreign aid, foreign ministry spokesperson, gilani, janjua, minister david, mosque, pakistan visit, raza, recipient, regional issues, xinhua