Brit woman in the dock for breaking ”no unmarried sex” law in DubaiJuly 9th, 2008 - 6:16 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 9 (ANI): Publishing firm manager Michelle Palmer has landed in trouble after being caught and arrested by a cop for having sex on Jumeirah Beach in Dubai.
Now, the Brit woman, who breached a strict ban on unmarried sex during her beach romp in Dubai on July 8, could end up serving six years in jail.
She had earlier gotten drunk during a champagne brunch that turned into an all-day binge, and was later spotted with another British holidaymaker, known only as Vince, walking together along the shore.
The pair was later seen by a police officer as having sex on the sand, but he let them off with just a warning. On returning to the spot, he found them at it again, and arrested them.
According to sources, Palmer, who works in Dubai for magazines firm ITP Publishing, launched an angry four-letter tirade after her second romp was halted.
She is alleged to have called the cop a f****** Muslim **** and tried to hit him with her high-heeled shoe before being restrained.
As sex outside marriage is considered an offence in Dubai, Palmer was charged with it and with indecent behaviour in public, being drunk in public, and assaulting a police officer.
Authorities have warned her and her lover that they face between three months and six years in jail in the Arab state, and have further said that she will also be deported from the country where she has lived and worked for three years.
Unconfirmed reports from Dubai suggested that the desperate pair hastily organised a civil ceremony soon after their release on bail, and married in a bid to reduce their jail terms.
Both Michelle and the man have already made one court appearance and are due to reappear on a date to be fixed following the alleged incidents last Friday.
Mortified Michelle was full of remorse yesterday and begged authorities to show mercy.
“Because this is known everywhere they”re going to make an example of us and we”re going to get a higher sentence,” the Sun quoted her as saying.
“We are in so much trouble and my family and everybody are affected. Until someone is in this situation they could never know what it’’s like. It’’s bad - it’’s so, so bad.
“They are being pushed into a corner to make an example of us.
“I”m panicking - my mum is on anti-depressants. I can”t say anything else. I”ve got to go,” she said.
“Michelle’’s a nice girl who’’s made a very big mistake. God only knows how she must have felt when she sobered up,” a friend of her said.
“She went out with a group of friends and workmates to a champagne brunch party.
“The booze was flowing all day and she must have got carried away by the time she met Vince - a pal of one of her workmates.
“They went for a walk on the beach. They were pretty plastered and a cop found them having sex.”
“The jails out here have a terrible reputation and Michelle’’s praying they go easy on her. But they seem under pressure to make her an example.
“Having sex in public here is taken very seriously. But it’’s twice as serious if you”re not married,” she added.
A Foreign Office spokesman did not reveal much and talked only about the arrest.
“Two British nationals were arrested in Dubai. The case is currently under investigation,” he said. (ANI)
- 'Have sex on beach': British couple arrested - Jul 10, 2008
- British woman caught having sex in taxi in Dubai - May 17, 2012
- Brit man convicted in Dubai beach sex case remains detained - Dec 20, 2008
- Dubai beach sex Brit couple to appeal - Nov 18, 2008
- British sex-on-the-beach couple back home from Dubai - Dec 25, 2008
- Beach sex Brit man slams Dubai for tempting tourists with cheap booze, and jailing them - Dec 30, 2008
- Shotgun marriage for British couple arrested having sex on Dubai beach - Jul 10, 2008
- Sex-on-Dubai-beach Brit woman known for getting wild while drunk! - Jul 11, 2008
- Think twice before you have sex on a beach in Dubai - Oct 16, 2008
- ''Sex on Dubai beach'' woman returns to UK for Christmas - Dec 24, 2008
- This pinch may really pinch him hard - May 31, 2012
- Freed Dubai sex-on-the-beach man now admits to Clintonesque-oral sex! - Jan 04, 2009
- Dubai beach sex couple facing harshest sentence - Jul 26, 2008
- 'Double standards' of strict anti-sex laws in Dubai - Jan 17, 2010
- Dubai sex-on-the-beach Brit couple return home - Dec 25, 2008
Tags: arab state, assaulting a police officer, binge, champagne brunch, civil ceremony, court appearance, drunk in public, dubai, having sex, holidaymaker, indecent behaviour, jail terms, last friday, mortified, publishing firm, remorse, romp, strict ban, tirade, unmarried sex law