Bomb blast kills 13 children in north-west PakistanFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 11:46 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Feb 22 (DPA) At least 13 people were killed Friday when a roadside bomb struck a bus carrying a wedding party in Pakistan’s volatile Swat Valley, an army officer said. The victims, all children, were part of a wedding party that was travelling by bus around 3:35 pm (1035 GMT) in the valley’s Matta area when the bomb detonated, one army spokesman at the scene, who asked not to be identified, told DPA.
He said 20 people on the bus were injured.
“It was a civilian wedding convoy that was passing through a road in the Matta area, when this IED (improvised explosive device) exploded,” the officer told DPA.
He said the military was investigating whether the bomb was detonated by remote control or triggered by the bus as it passed.
An earlier report by Geo TV said that the bride from the wedding party was among 13 people killed. The report, however, made no reference to whether children were among the victims.
Swat lies in Pakistan’s North-West Frontier Province, where the army has been operating since October 2007 to flush out armed Islamic followers of a local radical cleric, Maulana Fazlullah, who had taken over dozens of villages in the valley.
Friday’s blast shattered a relative calm following national elections Monday that saw the country’s main opposition parties sweep to power.
- Six kids among 26 killed in Pakistan attacks (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- 16 killed in Pakistan bus accident - Dec 05, 2010
- Senior Taliban commander killed in Pakistan's Swat valley - Oct 07, 2009
- Taliban down, but far from out in Swat: BBC report - May 02, 2010
- Maulana Fazlullah's aide arrested in Pakistan - Oct 26, 2009
- Injured Pakistani Taliban leader surrounded: Minister - Nov 05, 2009
- Swat Taliban chief Mullah Fazlullah killed in Afghanistan clashes - May 27, 2010
- Swat Taliban chief Fazlullah among 50 terrorists declared absconders - Jul 23, 2010
- Pakistan's Swat valley Taliban chief escapes to Afghanistan: Report - Nov 17, 2009
- Three dead in shrine blast in northern Pakistan - Feb 05, 2011
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- Taliban leader Fazlullah killed in Afghanistan: report - May 27, 2010
- 25 killed in Pakistan bus accident - Jun 04, 2012
- Mullah Fazlullah's close aide surrenders in Swat - Jul 22, 2010
- Religious extremism, the mantra for political power in Pakistan - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: army officer, army spokesman, bomb blast, convoy, explosive device, followers, frontier province, geo tv, islamabad, matta, national elections, north west frontier, opposition parties, radical cleric, relative calm, roadside bomb, swat valley, travelling by bus, wedding party, west pakistan