Blue Star anniversary observed at Amritsars Golden TempleJune 6th, 2008 - 7:33 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar , June 6 (ANI): The 24th anniversary of Operation Blue Star marking the Indian Armys storming of the Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale and his group of armed extremists was observed here today.
The extremists had set up their base in the temple complex.
The Akal Takht, the spiritual seat of the Sikhs, was badly damaged during the operations.
“The Akal Takht is a revered place for Sikhs. Sentiments of thousands of Sikhs are connected with it. The Congress government of that time brought guns and tanks into this holy site. So we are observing the day as a Black Day,” said Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti, the head Granthi of the Akal Takht.
Bhindrawale, who had entrenched himself in the complex, was eventually killed along with several other Sikh militants.
Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was gunned down on October 31, 1984 by two of her Sikh bodyguards, in retaliation for that operation. Her assassination led to riots across the country in which Sikhs were violently targeted with tragic consequences. (ANI)
- Sikh leaders perform Akhand Path on Blue Star anniversary - Jun 06, 2009
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Sikh clergy lays foundation stone of Operation Bluestar memorial - May 20, 2012
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- Amitabh pleads innocence in 1984 anti-Sikh riots - Dec 01, 2011
- 25 years after death, Bhindranwale lives through posters, stickers - May 26, 2009
- Sikh student federation launches Bhindranwale sticker drive in Ludhiana - Nov 09, 2009
- Manmohan Singh apologizes 'on behalf of government" for 1984 anti-Sikh disturbances - Jun 29, 2010
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots affected take out protest march in Amritsar - Aug 07, 2010
- Sikh bodies divided over change in Guru Tegh Bahadur martyrdom date - Nov 24, 2010
- Recent Sikh history: An inside story (IANS Book Review) - Jun 17, 2010
- Sikh organisations to mark 25 years of Operation Bluestar - May 24, 2009
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Subdued events mark 25 years of Operation Bluestar - Jun 06, 2009
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
Tags: 24th anniversary, akal takht, bhindrawale, bodyguards, congress government, former prime minister, giblue star, golden temple amritsar, indian armys, indira gandhi, jarnail singh bhindranwale, joginder, joginder singh, prime minister indira, sant jarnail singh, sant jarnail singh bhindranwale, sikh militants, sikhs, tragic consequences