BJP slams government for intelligence failureAugust 19th, 2012 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) A day after India blamed Pakistan for rumours and SMSes that forced thousands of northeast citizens to flee other states, the BJP Sunday slammed the government for intelligence failure.
Bharatiya Janata Party leader Yashwant Sinha also slammed Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who has claimed he always suspected foreign hand in the incidents. Sinha questioned Gogoi’s inaction.
“The Assam chief minister said he always felt there is Pakistan’s hand in the incidents. A Congress chief minister is saying this, it’s clearly an intelligence failure,” Sinha said.
“It was a social media aggression unleashed by Pakistan and the government could not do anything.
“Instead, when there was an exodus from so many states, the home minister questioned only the Karnataka chief minister,” Joshi said.
Home Secretary R.K. Singh Saturday said 76 web sites with morphed images of Assam and Myanmar violence had been identified for the panic run and that the bulk of these were uploaded in Pakistan.
The government has imposed a 15-day ban on bulk SMSs and MMSs to counter rumours of imminent attacks on northeastern people living in other states to avenge the clashes between Bodo tribals and Muslims in Assam
Thousands from the northeast fled this week Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh. The panic has now subsided.
- As exodus continues, bulk SMSes banned; parliament unites in support (Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- PM asks states to maintain peace (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Assam asks railway to help people go back - Aug 22, 2012
- Government says northeast people safe in Karnataka (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Images causing panic from Pakistan: Home secretary - Aug 19, 2012
- No problem in the state for NE people, says Andhra CM - Aug 17, 2012
- No problem in the state for northeast people, says Andhra CM (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to Bangalore, Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2012
- Northeast exodus: Pakistan rejects Indian charge - Aug 19, 2012
- Exodus: India compiling Pakistan link proof, over 250 websites blocked (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Hyderabad MP urges northeast people to stay - Aug 17, 2012
- Over 250 websites blocked for triggering northeast panic - Aug 20, 2012
- No exodus of northeast people from Bihar: Modi - Aug 18, 2012
- Northeast exodus: Pakistan asks India to provide evidence - Aug 20, 2012
- 16 arrested in Bangalore, northeast exodus subsides (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, assam, clashes, congress chief, gogoi, home minister, home secretary, inaction, intelligence failure, joshi, karnataka chief minister, mmss, morphed images, party leader, rumours, sinha, smses, smss, tarun, tribals