Bindi Irwin names tree after late father SteveJune 7th, 2008 - 2:15 pm ICT by ANI
Adelaide, June 7 (ANI): Bindi Irwin, daughter of the late Steve Irwin, paid tribute to her father by naming a special Adelaide gum tree after him.
Steves father Bob Irwin, wife Terri Irwin and Bindi planted the tree outside Adelaide’s Botanic Gardens as part of a four-day visit to South Australia.
And in honour of her late father, Bindi named the tree Steve The Tree.
“I love trees, I especially like climbing trees, but this one might need to grow a bit,” AdelaideNow quoted Bindi, as saying.
The family joined Premier Mike Rann to plant a river red gum in Botanic Park as part of the State Government’s Three Million Trees program.
It was the 1,500,000th tree to be planted under the program to combat climate change and protect biodiversity since it began in 2003.
Terri said Bindi and Bob were “expert tree planters” and they were all excited to help the program.
“We are seeing things in South Australia like drought and water levels dropping and the need for preservation and trees are directly linked with that,” she said.
“You don’t need a lot of time or money to do this kind of initiative, she added. (ANI)
- Slash launches wildlife charity - Aug 24, 2012
- Crocodile Hunter's daughter, 11, wants to become Australia's PM - May 23, 2010
- New, exotic African mistletoe discovered just in time for Christmas - Dec 20, 2010
- Terri Irwin says she's not ready to find new love - May 30, 2010
- Teen falls to death from Australia bridge - Aug 29, 2011
- Kalam remembers 100-year-old 'friend' on environment day - Jun 05, 2010
- 24th Australian Sikh Games begins in Adelaide - Apr 22, 2011
- Rare plant species to be displayed at biodiversity meet - Dec 13, 2010
- Oz toddler with Goldenhar syndrome doesn't know how to eat - Jul 30, 2010
- Close call for Sea Shepherd on Whale Wars - Jun 19, 2010
- Kerala plans unique botanical garden - Jul 12, 2012
- Ex-parliament barmaid claims steamy sex sessions with South Australian Premier in office - Nov 21, 2009
- Bindi Irwin to make movie debut in Free Willy 4 - Mar 21, 2009
- Pope believed 'priests should be allowed to have sex' - Feb 07, 2011
- Child porn charges against MP leaves South Australian Labor Party shocked - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: adelaide, bindi irwin, botanic gardens, climate, drought, father bob, gum tree, honour, initiative, money, river red gum, seeing things, south australia, state government, steve irwin, tree planters, trees, tribute, water levels, wife terri