Benazir was target of suicide bombers: Pak report

November 30th, 2007 - 2:47 pm ICT by admin  

Karach, Nov 30 (ANI): The final investigation report on the October 18 attack on former premier Benazir Bhuttos reception rally, has claimed that two suicide bombers sought to kill Bhutto.
The report reveals that the modus operandi used by the suicide bombers in Nishtar Park and killing of Shia religious scholar Mualana Hassan Turabi on July 14 at Karachi appeared to be similar to the October18 carnage.
A special CID team led by DIG Saud Mirza was asked to probe the incident that claimed over 150 lives.
After 41days of Investigation, the team revealed that the twin blasts were a suicide bombing and has sent the inquiry report to the federal Interior Ministry, sources said.
Sindh Home Secretary Ghulam Mohammad Muhtaram said that a report had been sent to the Interior Ministry, but he refused to highlight the details.
The report would be made public soon, he added.
According to reliable sources in the Sindh police, the investigation team has finally sent their report to Islamabad, comprising five pages with five significant points.
The report said the suicide bombers had tried to reach the truck, which was carrying Benazir Bhutto, but they could manage to blow themselves up just a bit far from the truck.
However, the report rejected the doubt of planting bombs in vehicles moving side by side with the truck carrying Bhutto.
The report pointed out that if the bombs were planted in vehicles along with Bhuttos truck, then after the blasts the structures of those vehicles would be completely destroyed.
It is pertinent to mention here Bhutto rejected the inquiry report conducted by the Sindh Government and sought foreign experts help in probing the matter.
The government rejected her demand, but only removed the head of the investigation team. The report further rejected the use of remote control bomb in the incident, the Nation reported.
Sources further revealed that the Interior Ministry has also received reports from FIA and other Intelligence agencies in which all the investigators agreed that the October 18 carnage was the result of suicide attack.
The source said that the investigation report would be tabled in the coming first meeting of the caretaker government, which scheduled to be held in Islamabad on December 1. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in South Asia |

Subscribe