BEML receives order worth Rs. 52 crore from DMRCAugust 21st, 2008 - 9:40 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, August 21 (ANI): The Defence Public Sector Undertaking, Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) has received an order from Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) worth Rs. 52 crore for indigenous design and development of eight cars.
BEML, having mastered the nuances of metro car manufacturing technology, will thus help to upgrade the existing four-car train formation to six-car train formation, which will increase the passenger capacity from 1,506 to 2,290.
On completion of the project of eight cars successfully, BEML hopes to bag further orders from DMRC.
Meanwhile, BEML has taken initiatives to design and develop low cost metro cars for the first time in the country.
These metro cars will be suitable for the Indian market at a target price much less compared to the present cost, of almost around Rs. five crore, based on imported technology.
The reduction in cost is planned to be achieved through in-house research and development efforts and by using indigenous stainless steel material and other aggregates, which will help the tier II cities to implement the Mass Rapid Transportation System (MRTS) at an affordable cost.
Delhi Metro has become a success story and other cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad are following suit and the tier II cities are also feeling the need for implementing similar system. (ANI)
- BEML all set to roll out indigenous low cost coaches for metro railways - Jul 10, 2009
- Delhi Metro to organise management programme on MRTS - Sep 09, 2012
- Bharat Earth Movers to make multi-speed rail coaches - Jul 09, 2009
- BEML to deliver first coach to Bangalore Metro in October - Jun 21, 2010
- Delhi Metro gets coaches from Bharat Earth Movers - Sep 11, 2009
- Jaipur Metro likely by June 2013 - Jul 16, 2012
- Row breaks out over Kochi Metro Rail project - Jan 02, 2012
- Indian defence research agency eyes robotic soldier, mule - Dec 11, 2011
- From next month, Metro ride to get faster, more comfortable - Sep 16, 2009
- Delhi Metro orders 40 subway cars from Bombardier - Jul 24, 2010
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Sreedharan inspects metro extension to Ghaziabad - Jun 16, 2011
- DDA told to raise funds for Metro network expansion - May 03, 2011
- Delhi Metro Phase III gets bigger, to cover Jamia, Faridabad - Jan 31, 2011
- BEML net dips 17 percent in fiscal 2010 - Jun 21, 2010