Beijing Olympics opening ceremony too roboticAugust 11th, 2008 - 7:18 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Aug 11 (ANI): Australias most prolific world record breaker, former Olympian and Gold Coast mayor Ron Clarke, has criticised the Beijing Olympic opening ceremony for being too robotic and extravagant.
One of the worlds most accomplished long distance runners, Clarke has attended 20 Olympic opening ceremonies since 1956. He said Beijing Olympics opening ceremony was spectacular, but lacked soul.
It was an epic Ben Hur production but it was just so precise, military precise, and as an Australian I like thing to be more spontaneous, Clarke said.
After the build up I was a bit disappointed. It lacked heart and soul and was a bit too robotic. I think opening ceremonies have become too expensive. I think the simple ceremonies of the old days, like Melbourne in 1956, were much more sincere and much more in keeping with what the Games are really about, he added.
Clarke called for the International Olympic Committee to put a cap on how much money host nations could spend on the opening and closing ceremonies and urged the savings to be put into endeavours that would have a lasting impact.
The Olympics is about participation. The money spent on such extravagant ceremonies could be used to support countries that can”t afford to send athletes to the Games, Clarke said.
Clarke had the honour of lighting the Olympic cauldron at the Melbourne Games.
However he said the tradition had become a gimmick, with host nations attempting to come up with new ways to light the torch.
Clarke said the opening ceremonies in Moscow and Sydney remained the best he had seen.
Due to his commitment as Gold Coast mayor, Clarke is unable to attend the Beijing Games, making it only the second Olympics he has missed alongside Athens. (ANI)
- Seven teenagers light London Olympics cauldron - Jul 28, 2012
- Steve Redgrave is public's choice to light Olympic cauldron - Jul 22, 2012
- China's artistry of lighting Games torch dazzles - Nov 12, 2010
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- Coe backs Thompson to light the Olympic flame - Jul 15, 2011
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- Australia asks CWG organizers for better treatment at closing ceremony - Oct 11, 2010
- Beijing is past, I have to start afresh in London: Bindra - Jul 26, 2012
- Australia's medal count to fall in London: Study - Jul 17, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Federer expects Olympics to be something special - Jul 23, 2012
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- Frenchman Tony Estanguet slaloms to canoe gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Putin to host Russian Olympic team in Kremlin - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: beijing olympics, ben hur, endeavours, gimmick, gold coast, heart and soul, honour, host nations, international olympic committee, long distance runners, moscow, new ways, olympic cauldron, olympic opening ceremonies, olympic opening ceremony, olympics, olympics opening ceremony, ron clarke, torch, world record breaker