Beards banned for Japanese workers over environmental issues!June 19th, 2010 - 4:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 19 (ANI): Bosses in a Japanese city have come to the defence of their decision to ban beards at work places by saying they are being environmentally friendly.
According to the bosses in the northeastern city of Isesaki, forcing office workers not to sport facial hair will mean they will be less likely to need the air conditioning on in the summer months, Sky News reported.
Civil servants are already being encouraged to forego jackets and ties during hot weather as part of a “Cool Biz” campaign.
A city official said there had been no complaints from employees since the ban was introduced last month and that it was a necessary part of Cool Biz.
The Japanese Ministry of Environment introduced the campaign in 2005 in an attempt to cut the country’s consumption of electricity, thereby reducing Japan’s carbon footprint.
Human rights lawyer Fumio Haruyama has criticised the ban, saying it violates personal freedom.
However, the move seems to be part of a growing trend in Japan.
A growing number of Japanese workers are being forbidden from coming into work unshaven because the public supposedly find it “unpleasant”.
One major convenience store has said it will not hire men with beards and would fire staff for growing facial hair. (ANI)
- Brad Pitt Eliminates His Beard - Jul 17, 2010
- Zac Efron's beard itches Vanessa Hudgens - Sep 17, 2010
- Aimi Eguchi is the latest pop star in Japan - Jun 24, 2011
- Japanese cuisine and liquor showcased at Matsuri festival - Mar 31, 2012
- Australian school apologises to Sikh boy - Jul 14, 2011
- German court rules bosses can order women to wear bras to work - Jan 13, 2011
- FBI arrests 7 in Amish beard cutting case - Nov 23, 2011
- Japanese bank to increase investments in Emirati projects - Oct 21, 2010
- California to let Sikh prisoners keep beards - Jun 11, 2011
- Bosses of Scot firms won't attend office party so staff can relax - Nov 27, 2010
- Germany Court Ruling States Women Must Wear Bras - Jan 15, 2011
- Experts comment on Brad Pitt's beard - Jan 13, 2010
- Japan urges end of nuclear industry - Aug 01, 2011
- Japan's 'Lolita' trend is a rage in Brisbane! - Nov 06, 2010
- Japan struggles to prevent n-meltdown, 20 people irradiated (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: air conditioning, carbon footprint, civil servants, consumption of electricity, convenience store, environmental issues, fumio, growing facial hair, hot weather, human rights lawyer, japanese city, japanese ministry, japanese workers, men with beards, ministry of environment, northeastern city, office workers, personal freedom, sky news, trend in japan