Bangladesh’’s ”micro-credit” man says India needs legislation for micro-credit serviceAugust 20th, 2008 - 12:46 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Aug 20 (ANI): Nobel Laureate and founder of Grameen Bank of Bangladesh Mohammad Yunus has said that India needs legislative and regulatory back to provide micro credit service to the poor.
Speaking to media here last evening, the Nobel laureate said, “Two things are important in spreading micro-credit in India. One is legislation to create micro-credit banks, small banks, who does this lending of micro-credit to the poorest people and then a regulatory authority which oversees this operation.”
Elaborating the need for extending micro-credit service in the healthcare sector, Yunus accentuated the inability of poor people to access money in crucial times.
“We are trying to go into healthcare, because if you are poor it almost implies without question that you are poor in health. So it goes together. So, we are trying to see now that we have brought the micro-credit, the financial service, how to bring the health care to the poor people and its possible,” added Yunus.
He also pressed upon the fact that the mission of the micro-credit banks should be service oriented and not profit making. He was here to launch micro-credit scheme for cardiac patients.
The loan scheme of the State Bank of India (SBI) is first of its kind in which the bank is offering loan up to 50,000 at 8.5 per cent interest for cardiac patients who are below poverty line and their earning is less than two dollars a day. (ANI)
- 'Charges against Muhammad Yunus politically motivated' - Feb 18, 2011
- Mixed reactions to Yunus sacking - Mar 03, 2011
- Bangladesh Govt. asks Muhammad Yunus to give up Grameen Bank post - Feb 16, 2011
- India's ex-judge, Grameen supporters rally behind Yunus - Feb 24, 2011
- Yunus moves apex court against removal from Grameen Bank - Mar 09, 2011
- Nobel Laureate Yunus to appear in 'The Simpsons' - Jul 26, 2010
- Grameen Bank founder accused of diverting millions of dollars of aid to other projects - Dec 03, 2010
- Grameen Bank urgently needs a regulator: probe report - Apr 27, 2011
- Yunus remains Grameen Bank chief despite court verdicts - May 07, 2011
- Dhaka court hears petition challenging Yunus' ouster - Mar 06, 2011
- Bangladesh's Grameen bank chief Yunus steps down - May 13, 2011
- Bangladesh set to resume Yunus court hearing - Mar 07, 2011
- Indian microfinance not sustainable: Bangladeshi practitioners - Jun 30, 2011
- Dhaka asks Grameen Bank chief to step down, Yunus refuses - Feb 15, 2011
- UAE participates in global microcredit summit in Spain - Nov 18, 2011