Bangladeshi leader accused of killing 57 during 1971 warJuly 3rd, 2012 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, July 3 (IANS) Abdul Quader Mollah of Bangladesh’s Jamaat-e-Islami party has been accused of plotting the deaths of at least 57 people in Dhaka during the 1971 war of liberation.
According to the first prosecution witness, freedom fighter Mozaffor Ahmed, Mollah orchestrated the killings in Keraniganj in the outskirts of the capital, the Daily Star reported.
Ahmed told the International Crimes Tribunal that Mollah led a team of “Razakars”, an anti-liberation force, for the killings Nov 25, 1971.
He told the tribunal that the collaborators torched his residence on the same day.
The three-member tribunal headed by chairman Justice A.T.M. Fazle Kabir has framed six charges against Mollah for his alleged involvement in murders and mass killings in 1971.
Prosecutor Sultan Mahmud Simon said that as an organiser of the Al Badr Bahani, an auxiliary force of the Pakistan Army, Mollah directly took part in mass killings, arson and looting during the war.
The Jamaat leader was arrested in July 2010 on charges of crimes against humanity committed in 1971.
- Dhaka Islamists drag India in blame game over 1971 war crimes - Dec 15, 2010
- War crimes trial divides Bangladesh opposition - Mar 29, 2011
- Another Islamist leader to face 'war crimes' trial - Aug 04, 2010
- Protests planned in US against Dhaka's war crimes trial - Jan 02, 2011
- Jailed Islamists engage British lawyers - Feb 06, 2011
- Dhaka's Islamist leader admits after 40 years: 'It was genocide' - May 05, 2011
- Dhaka may arrest top Islamist leader for war crimes - Jan 30, 2011
- Dhaka gets tough with Islamists on 40th Victory Day - Dec 16, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition leader faces trial for 'war crime' - Dec 30, 2010
- Bangladesh begins war crimes trial process - Jul 25, 2010
- Dhaka Islamist leaders jailed for 1971 `war crimes' - Aug 02, 2010
- We will wait, watch: Jamaat on war crimes trial - Mar 26, 2010
- Bangladesh tribunal denies bail to 'war crimes' accused - Apr 21, 2011
- Apologise for 1971 war crimes, Bangladesh tells Pakistan - Nov 21, 2011
- Bangladesh moves against Islamists for 1971 killings - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,