Bangladesh land pact likely in monsoon sessionAugust 14th, 2012 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 14 (IANS) The Indian government is actively engaged in “internal consultations” with a view to presenting the land boundary agreement with Bangladesh during the current session of parliament.
“We are in the process of doing some consultations. We will like to bring it in the parliament session,” informed sources said here Tuesday.
India and Bangladesh signed a historic land demarcation agreement during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to Islamabad in September last year.
The Indian government is required to get the agreement ratified by parliament before implementing it as it involves an exchange of land.
The agreement entails a swap of 111 Indian enclaves in Bangladesh and 51 Bangladeshi enclaves, where around 51,000 people have been living for centuries.
During a meeting between foreign secretaries of the two countries here last month, Dhaka had conveyed its unhappiness about the slow pace of implementation of the land boundary agreement.
India has, however, repeatedly assured Bangladesh that it is trying to fast-track the process of parliamentary ratification of the land pact.
During his recent visit to Dhaka, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh had assured Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina that India will make the land pact a reality soon.
- Bangladesh asks India to fast-track land accord, Teesta pact (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- `India, Bangladesh boundary row resolution to bring goodwill' - Sep 09, 2011
- India, Bangladesh sign maps, settle boundary row (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Assam protests India-Bangladesh land exchange - Sep 08, 2011
- India, Bangladesh to constructively resolve differences over land boundary demarcation - Nov 11, 2010
- India, Bangladesh set to seal enclaves deal - Aug 30, 2011
- Did chess games change destinies on India-Bangladesh border? - Sep 06, 2011
- Terrorists still operate from Bangladesh: PM's envoy - Apr 05, 2012
- List of India-Bangladesh pacts signed Tuesday - Sep 06, 2011
- India, Bangladesh to finalise border agreement - Jul 29, 2011
- Speed up enclave exchange, say Bangladesh protestors - Sep 24, 2011
- Bangladesh, India hold talks to resolve border issues (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- India, Bangladesh to review projects, discuss Teesta pact - Jul 23, 2012
- Terrorists still operate from Bangladesh: PM's envoy (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- India, Bangladesh wrap up boundary talks (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: boundary agreement, demarcation agreement, development minister, dhaka, enclaves, indian government, jairam ramesh, land boundary, land demarcation, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister sheikh hasina, monsoon session, pact, parliament session, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rural development, slow pace, unhappiness