Bangladesh banker favours micro-finance regulationMay 9th, 2012 - 12:21 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 8 (IANS) Bangladesh Bank Governor Atiur Rahman Tuesday emphasised the need for strong regulation for monitoring micro-finance institutions.
“We are striving to maintain the right balance of ensuring that micro-finance institutions (MFIs) have the space to innovate while maintaining oversight of poor people’s money,” said Rahman, who heads Bangladesh’s central bank, at an interactive session organised by Bandhan Financial Services here.
The Bangladesh government had set up the Micro-credit Regulatory Authority (MRA) in 2006 to monitor operations of MFIs.
“We set up the MRA to achieve this balance and we aim to strengthen its capacity further,” said Rahman, who is also the chairman of MRA.
He said large and medium MFIs needed to be regulated first as any problem with these could impact the whole micro-finance industry.
On the regulatory environment for MFIs in India, Rahman said the Reserve Bank of India, which had earlier given some autonomy to MFIs, was now looking at regulating them.
“Even in Bangladesh, initially these MFIs were given autonomy to operate. However, now we have set up a separate regulatory authority to supervise the industry,” he added.
- Indian microfinance not sustainable: Bangladeshi practitioners - Jun 30, 2011
- Microfinance firms fear Andhra law will hurt them - Dec 15, 2010
- State-run banks get Rs.6,000 crore - Feb 28, 2011
- Court declines stay on Andhra micro-finance ordinance - Oct 22, 2010
- RBI wants to reduce inflation to 6-7 percent - Aug 12, 2011
- Grameen Bank founder accused of diverting millions of dollars of aid to other projects - Dec 03, 2010
- Karnataka minister bats for micro-finance loans - Jun 17, 2011
- Micro finance firm Bandhan to apply for banking licence - Sep 05, 2011
- Experts rejected study that say microcredit helped Bangladeshi families raise their incomes - Jan 28, 2011
- Nabard's Rs.15 bn fund to help women's self-help groups - Apr 14, 2012
- Finance Minister promises to strengthen regional rural banks - Feb 28, 2011
- 'Charges against Muhammad Yunus politically motivated' - Feb 18, 2011
- Small borrowers rely on moneylenders: Study - Oct 11, 2011
- Micro finance institutions: RBI concerned on monitoring deficiences - Jul 05, 2012
- Regulations for micro-finance companies soon - Oct 14, 2010
Tags: autonomy, bangladesh bank, bangladesh government, bank of india, favours, finance industry, financial services, interactive session, micro credit, micro finance institutions, money, mra, oversight, regulatory authority, regulatory environment, reserve bank of india, s central