Aseefa to pick up slain mother’s flag: ZardariDecember 28th, 2011 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 28 (IANS) President Asif Ali Zardari has said that his younger daughter Aseefa Bhutto will pick up the flag of her slain mother and former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.
Addressing a huge gathering at Benazir’s mausoleum in Garhi Khuda Baksh on her fourth death anniversary Tuesday, Zardari said Aseefa will be the flag bearer of the party and will carry on the family tradition of serving the people of Pakistan.
The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) is not a party of inheritance, Associated Press of Pakistan quoted him as saying.
The president has three children - Aseefa, 18, Bakhtawar, 21, and Bilawal, 23.
It was not clear from Zardari’s remark as to what role his son Bilawal will play once Aseefa leads the party.
In April, Zardari had said that Bilawal, who is PPP chairman, will “take up some political responsibility in September”.
When President Asif Ali Zardari abruptly left Pakistan to go to Dubai Dec 6 over a heart ailment, it was Bilawal who met Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani as rumours swirled about the state of the president’s health and whether he was stepping down.
Bilawal had deliberated on the current political situation with Gilani.
Bilawal was made the PPP chairman after his mother Benazir Bhutto was killed in 2007. It was also decided then that till completion of Bilawal’s education, Asif Ali Zardari would run the party affairs as co-chairman.
Benazir was assassinated Dec 27, 2007, as she was leaving Liaqat Bagh in a motorcade after addressing an election rally in Rawalpindi, the twin city of Islamabad.
- Gilani visits Benazir grave - Jun 21, 2012
- Zardari's children vow to stand by convicted Gilani - Apr 27, 2012
- 'Bilawal to take up political responsibility in September' - Apr 28, 2011
- Nusrat Bhutto dies, Pakistan declares mourning - Oct 23, 2011
- Pakistan remembers Benazir Bhutto - Dec 27, 2011
- Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani - Dec 28, 2011
- Bilawal's Facebook fans discuss India trip - Apr 08, 2012
- Rahul accepts Bilawal's invite to visit Pakistan - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari undergoing tests, tweets daughter - Dec 08, 2011
- Son Bilawal to accompany Zardari on India trip - Apr 07, 2012
- Rahul, Bilawal have much to share - Apr 07, 2012
- Zardari donates blood - Jun 22, 2011
- Musharraf killed my mother: Bilawal Bhutto - May 25, 2012
- Pakistan mourns Nusrat Bhutto's death - Oct 24, 2011
- Bilawal Bhutto 'secretly' studying law in Britain - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, bagh, benazir bhutto, co chairman, death anniversary, election rally, family tradition, flag bearer, former prime minister, gilani, heart ailment, islamabad, mausoleum, motorcade, pakistan peoples party, party affairs, political responsibility, political situation, s education, younger daughter