Arrest warrant issued for Prabhakaran (Lead)January 27th, 2009 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Jan 27 (IANS) A Sri Lankan court has re-issued arrest warrants against Tamil Tigers leader Velupillai Prabhakaran over the assassination of former foreign minister Lakshman Kadirgamar.The Colombo high court Monday also issued similar warrants against Prabhakaran’s intelligence chief Pottu Amman and two senior members of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
The government identified the two as Charles Master and Komadee Manimekala.
The police told the court that they were unable to arrest the suspects because of the fighting in the north between the military and the LTTE.
Kadirgamar was assassinated by a suspected LTTE sniper at his residence in a posh Colombo district in August 2005.
Prabhakaran, the founder leader of the LTTE, is wanted in several cases in Sri Lanka, including a devastating bomb attack on the Central Bank in January 1996.
Prabhakaran and Pottu Amman are also wanted in India for the 1991 assassination of former Indian prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, who was blown up by a woman suicide bomber.
Meanwhile, Sri Lanka has banned the LTTE’s Voice of Tigers radio. The government said the broadcast license granted to VoT by the media ministry was withdrawn Monday.
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
- LTTE operating camps in Tamil Nadu: Lankan PM - Mar 10, 2011
- India to seek evidence from Sri Lanka to shut Gandhi murder case - May 19, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka refuses entry to Indian politicians - Feb 22, 2011
- LTTE: A Chronology - May 17, 2009
- Prabhakaran still in Sri Lanka, says LTTE - Jan 27, 2009
- India has confirmation of Prabhakaran's death: Chidambaram - Feb 01, 2010
- Velupillai Prabhakaran: His life, times and death - May 18, 2009
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- AIADMK unhappy with PM over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- LTTE tortured and killed while fighting Indians: Book - Jul 12, 2012
- Sri Lanka court issues arrest warrant against LTTE chief - Jan 27, 2009
- Vaiko has been an undisguised supporter of the LTTE - Mar 03, 2009
Tags: arrest warrant, arrest warrants, bomb attack, broadcast license, colombo district, colombo high court, founder leader, indian prime minister, intelligence chief, lakshman, lakshman kadirgamar, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, media ministry, pottu amman, rajiv gandhi, sri lankan, tamil tigers, voice of tigers, woman suicide bomber