Army called in to protect Islamabad diplomatic enclaveSeptember 20th, 2012 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 20 (IANS) The Pakistan government called in the army Thursday after a large number of enraged protesters tried to storm Islamabad’s heavily-guarded diplomatic enclave to register their protest against a US-made anti-Islam film.
According to Geo News, the Pakistan Army was summoned to protect the red zone and diplomatic enclave in Islamabad from demonstrators. Protesters pelted vehicles with stones near a five-star hotel located close to the red zone.
Islamabad’s diplomatic enclave is home to most Western embassies, including the US, British and French missions.
At least nine policemen were injured during clashes with protesters. Police used tear gas and baton-charged protesters to disperse them, the report said, adding that the police also placed containers around the red zone to restrict the protesters from entering the area and marching towards the diplomatic enclave.
The 14-minute trailer of “Innocence of Muslims” was originally posted on YouTube last June. It attracted little attention until Sep 8, this year when portions of the trailer were broadcast by a television network in Egypt.
Mass demonstrations over the film broke out in Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Sudan and other predominantly Muslim countries. US ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens was killed, along with three colleagues, when rioters attacked the US consulate in Benghazi.
- 36 injured in anti-Islam film protest in Islamabad (Second Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Pakistan assures diplomats' safety at 'all cost' - Sep 20, 2012
- 25 injured in Islamabad protests over anti-Islam film (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Russian telecom operator blocks YouTube - Sep 20, 2012
- UN chief slams `hateful film', calls for calm - Sep 14, 2012
- Anti-Islam film protests in Pakistan turn violent, at least 19 killed - Sep 22, 2012
- Anti-Islam film protests grip Pakistan; one killed (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- French embassies face closure over prophet's cartoon - Sep 20, 2012
- US warns of more violence over anti-Islam video - Sep 14, 2012
- Libyan protesters storm US consulate, one personnel killed (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,