Anti-India tirades by Hafiz Saeed will not smoothen relations with Pak: KrishnaJuly 14th, 2010 - 9:00 pm ICT by ANI
By Smita Prakash
Islamabad, Jul 14 (ANI): Visiting Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna today said that frequent anti-India statements by the Lashkar-e-Taiba founder and the mastermind of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, Hafiz Saeed, will not help in smoothening of relationship with Pakistan.
On the eve of the Indo- Pak Foreign Ministers’ level talks, India wants Pakistan not to turn a blind eye to the anti-India campaign by terrorists from its soil in the name of freedom of speech.
“Saeed has been consistently making statements to provoke people of Pakistan against India. We have drawn attention of Pakistan that such anti-India tirade will not smoothen relations. We want peaceful relations with Pakistan,” Krishna told reporters at Hotel Serena after his arrival in Islamabad on a three-day visit.
Earlier, Pakistan had said that it could not take action against LeT founder and Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Saeed, and said that his activities were not advancing the effort for better ties.
Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao had asked Pakistan to reign in Saeed while reminding Pakistan about its commitment not to allow anti-India terror activities from its soil.
She had said that Home Minister P Chidambaram during his discussions with his Pakistani counterpart Rehman Malik had conveyed India’s hope that Pakistan would to pay attention to the activities of Saeed.
“Our concerns about Hafiz Saeed have been very effectively conveyed to the Pakistani government and it continues to be our hope that Pakistan will pay close attention to what we are saying about individuals like Saeed,” Rao had said. (ANI)
- Pakistani group slams US reward for Hafiz Saeed - Apr 04, 2012
- India counters Pakistan, says enough info against Hafiz Saeed - Nov 11, 2011
- Ahead of Zardari visit, India ups pressure over Hafiz Saeed (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2012
- No question of making a comparison between Hafiz Saeed and Pillai: Krishna - Jul 16, 2010
- India hopes Pakistan can take action against Saeed - Apr 03, 2012
- Qureshi"s comment on Pillai is only going to exasperate sentiments: Gul - Jul 17, 2010
- Pakistan has to act on Headley confessions, says India - Jul 14, 2010
- 'No exclusive US bounty for Hafiz Saeed' - Apr 29, 2012
- Krishna refuses to comment on Pillai remarks - Jul 16, 2010
- India says LeT threat persists - Aug 24, 2011
- Krishna in Pakistan to mark 'new journey', harps on Headley (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2010
- India ups pressure on Pakistan over Jundal, Hafiz Saeed (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Krishna to visit Pakistan Sep 7-9, Jundal shadow over talks - Jul 24, 2012
- Dialogue useful, but action on 26/11 first: Pakistan told (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Pakistan Supreme Court sets Saeed free, India disappointed (Second Lead) - May 25, 2010
Tags: blind eye, external affairs minister, foreign ministers, freedom of speech, hafiz, home minister, hotel serena, islamabad, jamaat, krishna, lashkar e taiba, mastermind, nirupama rao, p chidambaram, pakistani government, peaceful relations, saeed, terror activities, tirade, tirades