Ansar Burney to meet Sarabjit’s family in IndiaMarch 27th, 2008 - 1:45 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Mar 27 (ANI): Pakistan’s caretaker Human Rights Minister Ansar Burney will visit India on April 2 to meet Sarabjit Singh’s family.
“I plan to meet Sarabjit’s family and his sister Dalbir Kaur to gather evidence they claim to have regarding his evidence. This will make it easier for me to work for his case,” Burney said on Thursday.
“At the same time, I will also try and meet the Pakistani prisoners who are in Indian jails. Obviously, I will also try and do whatever is possible for their release,” he said.
The visit is being undertaken on the invitation of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
On Monday, Burney had urged the new government to consider converting Sarabjit’s death sentence into life imprisonment on “humanitarian grounds”.
Burney said the request was being made as Sarabjit had “spent more than a life sentence on death row in Pakistani jails”.
President Pervez Musharraf has deferred Sarabjit’s execution by a month, with the new date set as April 30 this year.
Sarabjit has been on death row since Pakistan’s Supreme Court rejected his petition for mercy in March 2006. He has been accused of having played a major role in serial blasts across Pakistan, which claimed at least 14 lives in 1991.
He has been languishing in a Pakistani jail for 17 years. (ANI)
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Punjab assembly resolution seeks Sarabjit's release - Jun 29, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Will meet PM, Sonia, Rahul, says Sarabjit's sister - Jul 02, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Badal assures Sarabjit's family all help - Jul 11, 2009
Tags: 17 years, ansar burney, badal, caretaker, chief minister, death row, death sentence, human rights minister, humanitarian grounds, islamabad, jails, kaur, life imprisonment, life sentence, new date, pervez musharraf, petition, president pervez musharraf, prisoners, serial blasts