Angry Zia slams government in courtJune 5th, 2008 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, June 5 (IANS) An angry former Bangladesh prime minister Khaleda Zia slammed the caretaker government during a courtroom trial, denying graft charges against her and her associates as “politically motivated”. Zia utilised a five-minute opportunity given to her by the judge Wednesday to make a 17-minute statement, rebutting charges and making her own.
“Those who are committing corruption now must be punished. The people will bring them to trial,” The Daily newspaper Thursday quoted Zia as saying.
She is being tried in a corruption case slapped against her, her youngest son Arafat Rahman Koko and 22 others.
The courtroom witnessed emotional scenes as a tearful Zia hugged her ailing businessman son.
“My entire family has been ruined. See my son’s condition… My son who was physically quite well has been made ill,” she told the court, demanding that he be sent abroad for proper treatment.
Arafat was brought to the special jail in an ambulance and was given oxygen for 45 minutes before being produced in the courtroom.
The trial brought together political friends and foes.
Mohammed Nasim, a former home minister in the government of Zia’s rival Sheikh Hasina, was seen hugging Jamate-e-Islami chief Matiur Rahman Nizami.
Nizami and Nasim’s Awami League have rarely shared any political platform.
Zia has been the immediate past prime minister, ruling the country for 10 years in 1991-1996 and 2001-06.
- Trial of Khaleda Zia's younger son begins in absentia - Jan 05, 2011
- Bangladesh asks Zia's son to surrender - Aug 20, 2010
- Deals with India top Bangladesh opposition's protest agenda - Sep 09, 2010
- Fight Indian pressure: Dhaka Jamaat leader - Apr 16, 2010
- Dhaka presses graft charges against Khaleda Zia's son - Jul 07, 2010
- Khaleda Zia's son, 29 others indicted in 2004 bombing - Mar 18, 2012
- Court extends former Bangladesh PM son's parole - Aug 27, 2010
- War crimes trial divides Bangladesh opposition - Mar 29, 2011
- Sporadic violence marks opposition strike in Bangladesh (Lead) - Nov 30, 2010
- Corruption evidence against Zia, says anti-graft body - Nov 23, 2010
- Bangladesh's former PM evicted amid protests (Fourth Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Hasina signed secret security deal with India: Bangladesh party - Jan 20, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition parties to launch stir against Hasina - Jun 06, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition protests move to bring back Zia's son - Aug 22, 2010
- Khaleda Zia put under house arrest, says Bangladesh opposition (Second Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: arafat, awami league, caretaker government, corruption case, courtroom trial, dhaka, emotional scenes, friends and foes, graft charges, home minister, islami, khaleda zia, koko, matiur rahman, nizami, political friends, political platform, prime minister khaleda, sheikh hasina, youngest son