Al-Zawahiri not in Pakistan: GilaniMay 13th, 2012 - 12:47 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 13 (IANS) Ayman al-Zawahiri is not in Pakistan, said Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, challenging US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s remark that the Al Qaeda chief was there.
Zawahiri, an Egyptian cleric, became the new Al Qaeda chief after the killing of Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad town May 2 last year.
“Why should I think he (Zawahiri) is in Pakistan?” he asked the Daily Telegraph.
“You have claimed that somebody has said that he is in Pakistan: if there is any information, please share with us,” he was quoted as saying.
“We don’t think so,” said Gilani in London when he was asked for his own view on whether the Al Qaeda chief was in Pakistan.
On May 7, during her three-day trip to India, Hillary Clinton had categorically said that Zawahiri was in Pakistan.
Clinton had said in Kolkata: “We want to disable Al Qaeda. We believe Zawahiri is in Pakistan.”
“You have to go over those who are trying to kill you. You have to be focused on that.”
- Not enough evidence to arrest Hafiz Saeed, says Gilani (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Al Qaeda chief al-Zawahiri is in Pakistan: Clinton - May 07, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Who runs Al Qaeda 'barely matters': US - Jun 17, 2011
- Clinton chose wrong place for Zawahiri claim: Pakistani daily - May 09, 2012
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video - Jun 09, 2011
- Who runs Al Qaeda barely matters: US (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri, who calls Pakistan a US colony, to head Al Qaeda (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011