Al Jazeera English to be launched in IndiaDecember 8th, 2010 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 8 (ANI): Broadcaster Al Jazeera has said that its English language service has got a downlink license to broadcast in India.
Cable and satellite companies in India will be able to add Al Jazeera English to their channel line-ups after India’s Ministry of Information and Broadcasting granted the license, the Qatar-based broadcaster said in a statement.
According to the Wall Street Journal, a number of providers have already indicated that they will air the channel, Al Jazeera said.
“With the prospect of reaching an estimated 115 million households in India, this important market will be significant as we continue to expand our global reach,” added Diana Hosker, Head of Distribution for India.
Officials at the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting weren’t available for a comment. (ANI)
- Al Jazeera, France 24 upbeat on Indian market - Dec 08, 2010
- Al Jazeera English now available on Tata Sky too - Apr 26, 2012
- White House turns to Al Jazeera English to monitor Egypt protests - Feb 01, 2011
- Al-Jazeera English wins top journalism award for coverage of Middle East unrest - May 05, 2011
- Mid-East crisis: Clinton backs Al-Jazeera, criticizes US media in Senate - Mar 05, 2011
- Yemen seals Al Jazeera TV office in Sana'a - Apr 10, 2011
- Soni brings illegal channels to notice of home minister - Oct 09, 2009
- Government amends rules to toughen entry for TV channels - Oct 07, 2011
- Qatar used Al Jazeera to suit foreign policy, claims WikiLeaks expose - Dec 06, 2010
- Swiss lab agrees to test Arafat's remains for polonium - Sep 04, 2012
- 143 TV channels want to enter Indian market - Aug 04, 2009
- Bill to digitalise cable TV passed by Lok Sabha - Dec 13, 2011
- Government approves modified HITS guidelines - Dec 17, 2009
- Al Jazeera to enter US market - Jun 25, 2009
- 86 TV channels apply for acquiring downlink license in Nepal - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,