AIADMK, DMK want Sri Lankan airmen to go (Lead)July 5th, 2012 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 5 (IANS) Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa and DMK leader M. Karunanidhi Thursday demanded the immediate expulsion of Sri Lanka Air Force personnel being trained near in Tamil Nadu.
Jayalaltihaa said this was happening at a time when the Tamil Nadu assembly had passed a resolution that India and other countries should impose economic sanctions against Colombo for committing war crimes.
She said in a statement: “When the international community is raising its voice that India should urge Sri Lanka to accord equal rights to Tamils, the news of Sri Lankan air force personnel (coming) for nine months training at the Tambaram air force station (near here) is like piercing (our) heart with a spear.”
She said the training and that too in Tamil Nadu “is not only inappropriate but also anti-Tamil”. She asked the central government to send back the air force personnel.
Later, former chief minister Karunanidhi told reporters: “If the news is true, it is certainly condemnable. The central government should send back the trainees.”
Tamil parties have accused the Sri Lankan military of committing atrocities on Tamil civilians during the final stages of the war against the Tamil Tigers that ended in May 2009.
- India to send back Sri Lanka Air Force personnel - Jul 06, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sri Lankan airmen shifted to Bangalore? Send them home, Jayalalitha demands (Fourth Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 07, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen's status; Jayalaithaa demands they be sent home (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- Don't train Sri Lanka Air Force personnel: Jayalalithaa - Jul 05, 2012
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Send back Sri Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Jul 16, 2012
- Send back Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Aug 25, 2012
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- Rajapaksa should tried for war crimes: Jayalalithaa - May 13, 2011
- Jayalalithaa asks PM to respect Tamil sentiments - Aug 28, 2012
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: air force station, atrocities, central government, chief minister, colombo, dmk leader, economic sanctions, expulsion, India, j jayalalithaa, m karunanidhi, nine months, spear, sri lanka air, sri lankan air, sri lankan air force, tamil civilians, tamil parties, tamil tigers, war crimes