After currency, condoms on India-Nepal smugglers’ listJanuary 31st, 2009 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, Jan 31 (IANS) After drugs and counterfeit Indian currency, smugglers operating in India and Nepal through the open border between the two countries have now added a new commodity to their list - condoms.The new crime came to light after Indian police recently came across two suitcases stuffed with condoms at the railway station in border town Rupaidiya, Nepal’s official media said Saturday.
Several health institutions and NGOs have been distributing condoms free of cost in Nepal in a bid to raise awareness about safe sex practices and arrest the spread of HIV/AIDS as well as sexually transmitted diseases.
However, the distribution and vigilance parts of the operation being weak, the freebies are being collected by some people to be sold in Indian towns across the border.
Nepal’s official news agency Rastriya Samachar Samiti said Indian police have registered a case.
Condom smuggling is rampant in Banke district in south Nepal where besides all government health posts, over 50 NGOs working in the health sector distribute them free.
- South African hoteliers to distribute free condoms to fans for safe sex - Jun 10, 2010
- Female condom fails to gain popularity - Jul 03, 2012
- Brazil to distribute 20 mn female condoms - Mar 21, 2012
- Indian fake currency gangs chose Nepal star-hotel for deals - May 06, 2011
- Eyeing small town India, subsidised condom set to be trendier - Jun 25, 2012
- Philadelphia parents disgusted that 11 year olds are being given condoms - Apr 18, 2011
- Safe sex project involving quirky condoms cost Oz taxpayers $50,000! - Nov 16, 2010
- ITC subsidiary faces double whammy in Nepal - Aug 21, 2011
- Free condoms through PDS in Bihar to combat AIDS - Dec 01, 2009
- 9,000 free condom vending machines set up in Shanghai (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- 11-year-olds in US can now order condoms via mail - Apr 15, 2011
- Washington to become first American city to distribute free female condoms - Mar 06, 2010
- 90pc drug users in Malaysia do not use condoms, says social activist - Dec 04, 2009
- Now an iPhone app that allows New Yorkers to find free condoms - Feb 15, 2011
- Pakistani intrusion bid foiled by BSF at Rajatal in Punjab - Jan 05, 2010
Tags: border town, condoms, government health, health institutions, health posts, health sector, hiv aids, indian currency, indian police, new crime, news agency, ngos, official news, open border, railway station, safe sex, sex practices, smugglers, two suitcases, vigilance