AFP bureau chief detained in Nepal for suspected drug possessionJanuary 11th, 2009 - 12:00 am ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, Jan 10 (IANS) The Nepal bureau chief of French news agency Agence France Presse (AFP) has been detained by Kathmandu’s drug squad on the suspicion of possessing drugs, police said.British citizen Sam Taylor was detained from a restaurant in Thamel, the capital’s tourist hub, Friday by a police patrol.
An official at the Sorukhutte police station that has jurisdiction over Thamel told IANS that Taylor has been kept under detention for further investigation.
Taylor had taken charge in Nepal around three years ago. Prior to this, he had worked in Vietnam for German news agency DPA.
Since the Maoists formed the government last year, Home Minister Bam Dev Gautam has called for an anti-sleaze crackdown in Thamel, known for its infamous massage parlours and dance bars that serve as a front for sex workers.
Taylor’s detention comes after his high-profile arrest in Singapore last year on drug-related charges.
- AFP bureau chief detained in Nepal for suspected drug possession (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jan 11, 2009
- Beijing police crack down on prostitution - Jul 13, 2012
- Illegal trade of small arms, guns threatens Kathmandu: Police - Sep 08, 2012
- Indians fight trafficking slur in Nepal - Nov 22, 2010
- Nepal police release AFP bureau chief - Jan 11, 2009
- Nearly 150 students arrested in Nepal vice crackdown - Mar 19, 2010
- Five women rescued from Goa 'massage parlour' - Sep 07, 2012
- Fiji's massage parlours operating as brothels - Feb 28, 2011
- Three Indians nabbed in Nepal's anti-sleaze drive - Oct 06, 2008
- Illegal arms trade flourishing in popular Nepal tourist area - Jul 02, 2010
- Nepal's growing pornography trade preys on women - Jun 16, 2010
- Nepal frees Dalai Lama's envoy but threat deepens - Aug 06, 2011
- Dubai's lewd massage parlours warned - Jan 26, 2011
- American kidnapped from Kathmandu hotel - May 29, 2011
- 'Detaining Chinese blogger for mocking officials unlawful' - Jun 29, 2012