Afghan peace negotiator killedMay 13th, 2012 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 13 (IANS) Arsallah Rahmani, a member of Afghanistan’s High Peace Council, was gunned down here Sunday, a media report said.
Rahmani, a former Taliban leader, was fatally shot Sunday, reported Xinhua citing a TV report.
Rahmani, who served as minister for higher education during Taliban regime, had switched sides after the collapse of Taliban regime in late 2001 and since then used to live in Kabul.
He had also served as a senator and advocated for finding negotiated settlement to Afghan crisis.
No group has as yet claimed responsibility for the murder.
Taliban militants fighting Afghan government in a statement released earlier this month announced launching spring offensive dubbed “Al-Farooq” which includes targeting security forces, member of peace council and government officials.
Last September, a turbaned suicide bomber disguised as a Taliban emissary blew himself up during talks with Burhanudin Rabbani, the former chief of High Peace Council, in his Kabul residence, killing him on the spot.
- Guards open fire at Rabbani's funeral - Sep 23, 2011
- Parliamentarian among 20 killed in Afghanistan bombing (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Extradite people involved in Rabbani's killing : Afghanistan to Pakistan - Oct 03, 2011
- No objection if Taliban opens office: Minister - Dec 18, 2011
- 22 killed in Afghan suicide bombing - Jun 06, 2012
- 20 killed as suicide bomber targets funeral in Afghanistan (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- Rabbani's murder planned in Pakistan: Afghan security agency - Oct 01, 2011
- Former Afghan president Rabbani killed in blast - Sep 20, 2011
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- Khurshid represents India at prayers for Rabbani - Sep 24, 2011
- UNSC condemns former Afghan president's killing - Sep 22, 2011
- Rabbani's killing reminder of dangers to Afghan peace: Manmohan - Sep 24, 2011
- Karzai to brief India on new Taliban strategy - Oct 03, 2011
- Gilani surprised by Karzai's aggressive posture - Nov 12, 2011
Tags: afghan crisis, afghan government, afghanistan, al farooq, collapse, emissary, government officials, higher education, kabul, last september, peace council, peace negotiator, regime, security forces, suicide bomber, taliban, taliban leader, tv report, xinhua