Afghan peace delegation to arrive in Pakistan on Jan 5January 3rd, 2011 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Jan 3(ANI): An Afghan delegation is scheduled to arrive on a three-day visit to Islamabad on January 5, as part of the Afghanistan Government’s efforts to broker peace with the Taliban.
Former Afghanistan President Burhanuddin Rabbani is set to lead a delegation from the Afghan High Council for Peace.
Backed by Afghan President Hamid Karzai, the High Peace Council intends to open a dialogue with insurgents who have been trying to bring down his government since the US-led invasion overthrew the Taliban regime in late 2001.
Pakistan says it is an ‘exploratory’ visit, and an opportunity to hear ‘first hand’ what Afghan leaders have in mind, in their effort to bring back peace to this land locked neighbour of Islamabad, The News reports.
Neither Rabbani nor officials in Islamabad have ruled out the possibility of including Taliban in these peace talks.
“We want these talks to be led by the Afghans themselves. We want the process to be broad-based, inclusive, Afghan-owned and Afghan-led,” a Foreign Office spokesman said from Peshawar.
“We are looking forward to intensive discussions with the delegation and Prof Rabbani. Pakistan will continue to support and help in whatever way the Afghanistan government wants us to help,” the spokesman added.
It is noteworthy that in October 2010, Gilani stressed that Pakistan had an essential role to play in the Afghan reconciliation process if there was to be any prospect of peace.
“Nothing will happen without us, because we are a part of the solution, we are not a part of the problem,” he stated. (ANI)
- Peaceful Afghanistan critical for Pakistan: Gilani - Feb 01, 2012
- India reminds Afghanistan of Taliban reconciliation 'red lines' - Jul 15, 2011
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- Pakistani, Afghan, US envoys to meet for peace talks - Apr 25, 2012
- Afghanistan seeks India's support for Taliban reconciliation - Jul 14, 2011
- Pakistan, Afghanistan, US hold talks on Afghan peace - Apr 27, 2012
- Pak holds 'trump card' to success of Afghan peace talks with Taliban: Gilani - Oct 13, 2010
- Pakistan, US need to trust each other: Gilani - Aug 27, 2011
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- Afghan peace delegation to visit Pakistan - Jan 02, 2011
- Pakistan, Afghanistan to set up joint commission to promote reconciliation process - Apr 17, 2011
- Japan invites Pakistan for conference on Afghanistan - Jan 17, 2012
- UN envoy says Pak backs reconciliation bid for peace and stability in Afghanistan - Feb 14, 2011
- 'Afghan solution minus Pakistan won't be productive' - Sep 29, 2011
- Cameron offers help to Pakistan flood victims - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: afghan president hamid, afghanistan government, afghans, burhanuddin rabbani, exploratory visit, foreign office, hamid karzai, insurgents, intensive discussions, invasion, islamabad, news reports, office spokesman, peace council, peace delegation, peace talks, president hamid karzai, reconciliation, taliban, taliban regime