Acupuncture to feature on UNESCO cultural heritage list?November 12th, 2010 - 6:40 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 12 (ANI): Chinese traditional acupuncture and Peking Opera are among other contenders for UNESCO’s intangible heritage list next week.
“That’s significant, particularly for acupuncture, which is widely practiced in more than 160 countries and regions worldwide,” said Huang Jianyin, deputy secretary-general with the World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies, an NGO based in Beijing.
“Getting the status would help improve and secure the notion across the world that acupuncture and other traditional Chinese medical procedures were created in China by the Chinese,” he added.
China had filed the application last year, reports China Daily.
In addition, Chinese printing with wooden movable type, the technique for leak-proof partitions of Chinese junks and the Uygur folk performance Meshrep were also proposed for intangible cultural heritage status as they are in need of urgent safeguarding, the Paris-based organization said.
The final results will be announced around November 19. (ANI)
- Chinese leaders watch Peking Opera - Dec 30, 2011
- China seeking heritage designation for acupuncture - Sep 14, 2010
- Chinese opera star named Unesco Artist for Peace - May 24, 2011
- Venice wants gondolas to be given World Heritage status - Oct 13, 2010
- Unesco lists 12 items as endangered intangible heritage - Oct 03, 2009
- China to celebrate cultural heritage - Jun 08, 2012
- Suzhou: China's Venice of the East (Letter from China) - Oct 09, 2011
- Chinese shadow puppetry joins intangible heritage list - Nov 27, 2011
- China's Shaolin temple in world heritage list - Aug 02, 2010
- Chinese medicine societies reject use of tiger bones - Mar 13, 2010
- UAE Sadu weaving on Unesco's intangible heritage list - Nov 26, 2011
- China has 870,000 intangible heritage items - Jun 04, 2010
- Punjab, Unesco to join hands for cultural preservation - Feb 26, 2011
- Peking Man could have used weapons in China 700,000 years ago - Apr 30, 2011
- India, Pakistan likely to sign culture pact - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: acupuncture, based organization, china daily, chinese medicine, chinese printing, contenders, deputy secretary general, intangible cultural heritage, intangible heritage, leak proof, medical procedures, medicine societies, meshrep, movable type, ngo, partitions, peking opera, traditional acupuncture, unesco, world federation