Accomplice of Times Square plotter arrested in PakistanSeptember 30th, 2010 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
By Awais Saleem
Islamabad, Sep 30 (IANS) Pakistani security forces have arrested a man who allegedly helped in the training of Faisal Shahzad, the accused in the failed Times Square bombing case.Faisal Abbasi, a major link between Shahzad and Pakistani Taliban chief Hakeemullah Mehsud, was nabbed while he was travelling from Waziristan to Islamabad, sources said Thursday.
Abbasi had sent Shahzad to Waziristan for training. He is reportedly employed in a federal government organisation and also serves in a local seminary, they said.
Shahzad was arrested at New York’s JFK Airport in May while trying to board a flight to Dubai in an effort to flee the US after the failed Times Square car bombing plot May 1.
The plan was foiled when the explosives-laden SUV started emitting smoke and the local people informed the police.
Security forces arrested three people earlier in September on charges of having links with Shahzad. Several others have also been picked up by authorities to track down the network facilitating Shahzad in his activities.
Faisal Shahzad, a Pakistani-American and son of a former Pakistan Air Force (PAF) officer, has admitted before the FBI that the Times Square plot was his brainchild.
In a video released recently, Shahzad appeared alongside Hakeemullah and said such activities were part of a “jihad against foreigners to avenge the atrocities against Muslims”.
According to a media report Thursday, at the time of his arrest, Shahzad said that if he had not been arrested, he planned to detonate a second bomb in New York City two weeks later.
US prosecutors said Shahzad believed the car bomb in Times Square would kill about 40 people and that he “was prepared to conduct additional attacks until he was captured or killed”.
- Three Taliban men arrested for links to Times Square plot - Sep 09, 2010
- Pakistani court frees three in New York bombing plot - Jun 02, 2012
- Pak ATC frames charges against three aides of Faisal Shahzad - Nov 07, 2010
- Taliban helped Times Square bomber, Pakistan court told (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- Pak Interior Minister says Taliban link to Times Square bomb plot under probe - May 08, 2010
- Times Square bomb plotter's ex-PAF chief father flees from Hayatabad house - May 05, 2010
- Pak ATC denies bail to Times Square bombing suspects - Sep 23, 2010
- Times Square plot: 11th suspect held in Pakistan - May 27, 2010
- New York bombing plotter's father being quizzed - May 07, 2010
- Times Square plot: Pakistan frees retired army major - May 31, 2010
- Pakistan arrests militant who helped Shahzad - May 14, 2010
- Six more held in Pakistan for Times Square plot - May 21, 2010
- Times Square probe focus shifts to Pakistani Taliban - May 05, 2010
- Pak admits to Times Square bomber's links in South Waziristan - May 27, 2010
- FBI team seeking access to failed Times Square bomber father - May 09, 2010
Tags: accomplice, atrocities, brainchild, car bomb, car bombing, faisal, government organisation, jfk, jfk airport, jihad, paf, pakistan air force, police security, saleem, security forces, seminary, square car, square plot, times square, waziristan