Abducted Pakistani journalist freedOctober 13th, 2011 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 13 (IANS) A journalist who was kidnapped by suspected militants was set free in Pakistan’s North Waziristan region.
Rehmatullah Khan Derpakhel was abducted Aug 11 and freed after a deal was struck between the kidnappers and a jirga (council), Dawn quoted sources as saying.
M. Amin Khan, an official, said Derpakhel reached his home at around 9 p.m.
Journalists in Pakistan have been attacked on earlier occasions.
Munir Ahmed Shahkir, a senior journalist with the Waqt News newspaper, was shot several times in Balochistan province and rushed to a hospital where he succumbed to injuries Aug 14.
On Aug 10, a journalist was manhandled for exposing malpractices at a premier hospital in Karachi.
Journalist Saleem Shahzad, 40, was kidnapped in Islamabad May 29. Two days later, his body, bearing marks of severe torture, was found dumped in a canal in Punjab province.
Shahzad is widely believed to have been picked up by intelligence officials for alleging in an article that terrorists attacked a key naval base in Karachi May 22 after the navy refused to free sailors held for suspected militant links.
In June, a journalist working for Britain’s Guardian newspaper was attacked by policemen apparently over his appearance in a TV talk show.
- Zardari seeks probe into attack on journalist - Aug 23, 2011
- Pakistani scribes demand clarification over killing - Aug 30, 2011
- Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir to get security - Dec 23, 2011
- Tolerance of extremists detrimental to Pakistan: Daily - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistani journalist manhandled - Aug 10, 2011
- Journalist shot dead in Pakistan - Aug 15, 2011
- Probe violence against journalists, UN to Pakistan - Aug 20, 2011
- `Pakistani journalist's killers wanted to set an example' - Jun 04, 2011
- Pakistan trying to protect journalists: Minister - Jul 07, 2011
- Pakistan fails to trace journalist's killers - Jan 13, 2012
- Journalist beaten up in Pakistan - Jun 20, 2011
- Pakistan Army offers to back Shahzad's murder probe - Jun 20, 2011
- Shahzad murder probe panel fails to get phone record - Jul 20, 2011
- ISI officials appear before journalist murder panel - Aug 17, 2011
- Panel on Pakistani journalist's killing gets phone record - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: abducted, ahmed, amin khan, dawn, guardian newspaper, intelligence officials, journalists, kidnappers, malpractices, militants, north waziristan, occasions, pakistani journalist, policemen, sailors, several times, severe torture, shahzad, tv talk show, waziristan region