A Pakistani woman who runs slum school by selling scrapAugust 2nd, 2011 - 12:56 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 2 (IANS) A woman in Pakistan runs a school for 1,800 slum children with money collected from selling trash.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Monday announced a Rs.1 million help for the woman’s selfless effort to help the deprived children education.
Gilani Monday said he was moved by the narrative of Rubina Qureshi, who was running the school for 1,800 poor children in Lahore and collected money by herself gathering junk from the peoples’ houses to sell to generate funds.
Rubina Qureshi said she went from house to house to pick up the commodities which were of no use and then sold these to provide free education and books to the slum children.
She suggested that all posh localities should fund schools for the children living in slums.
- Fairytale ride continues for 'Slumdog Millionaire' children - Mar 22, 2012
- 'Conditions of MCD schools worst under BJP rule' - Apr 06, 2012
- Opposition to RTE takes bizarre turn in Karnataka - Jul 19, 2012
- 'Education City' emerges in Chhattisgarh's Maoist zone - Jul 16, 2012
- From slums to queen of suburbs, Rubina Ali goes places (With Image) - Oct 16, 2011
- Wives of African diplomats thank India, via charity (With images) - May 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama donates money to fight child malnutrition - May 15, 2012
- 'Slumdog' kids back in shanties - with Oscar dreams - Mar 02, 2011
- Many slum, civic body-run school kids have worms: Study - Sep 04, 2011
- Once again, nursery admissions no child's play for parents (With Images) - Jan 06, 2012
- Delhi school kids to form human chain against junk food - Dec 17, 2011
- Government mulls curbs on junk food in schools - Jul 18, 2011
- Child star Rubina still in slum, but Marathi autobiography ready (With Images) - Jun 12, 2010
- Steve Jobs' pirated biography sold in Shanghai - Nov 05, 2011
- Court to centre: ban junk food from school, college canteens - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: 1 million, aug 2, children education, commodities, free education, gilani, lahore, localities, money, narrative, pakistan, prime minister, qureshi, raza, rs 1, slum children, slums, trash, yousuf