88 dead in Pakistan floodsSeptember 5th, 2011 - 6:07 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 5 (IANS) At least 88 people have died and around eight million affected by floods in Pakistan’s southern Sindh province and eastern Punjab province, a top official said.
Zafar Iqbal Qadir, chairman of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), said that most of the people who lost their homes in Sindh and Punjab have been provided accommodation at different relief camps set up by the government, Xinhua reported.
Food and other necessities are being supplied to the flood-affected areas, he said.
The army and navy as well as UN agencies are also involved in rescue and relief work.
To prevent the outbreak of water-borne diseases like malaria, the government has launched a campaign in the flood-hit areas.
Media reports said 1,500 dengue cases were registered in Punjab till Saturday.
The meteorological department has predicted more rains in the coming days, which could further aggravate the situation in the flood-hit areas.
In 2010, Pakistan was hit by an unprecedented flood, which claimed over 2,000 lives and affected some 20 million people.
- Stocks run out in Pakistan's flood-hit areas: UN - Oct 30, 2011
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- 209 dead in floods in Pakistan's Sindh - Sep 12, 2011
- Flood-hit Pakistanis facing serious health risk - Aug 17, 2010
- Pakistan wants more flood money as Rs.5 bn lies unutilised - Sep 19, 2011
- Pakistan floods: Toll rises to 412 - Sep 25, 2011
- 12,000 tents distributed in Pakistan province - Aug 21, 2011
- 'Foreign aid for flood-hit Pakistan inadequate' - Sep 27, 2011
- Radio Pakistan to spread awareness about dengue - Sep 11, 2011
- UNICEF seeks $50mn for flood-hit Pakistani kids - Oct 13, 2011
- UN appeals for $356 million to help flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 18, 2011
- USAID to give $155 mn for education in Pakistan - Aug 16, 2011
- Eight mn fake tablets detected in Pakistan - Sep 27, 2011
- Pakistan gives out tents, food to flood-hit - Oct 04, 2011
- Floods trigger epidemic fears in Meghalaya - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: accommodation, army and navy, dengue cases, disaster management, flood, floods in pakistan, malaria, management authority, meteorological department, national disaster, ndma, necessities, outbreak, punjab province, relief camps, sindh province, water borne diseases, xinhua