8,500 Pakistani women victims of violence in 2011February 14th, 2012 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 14 (IANS) Over 8,500 Pakistani women last year suffered from violence like sexual assault, acid throwing and even honour killings, a non-governmental organisation said Tuesday.
An annual report issued by the Aurat Foundation to highlight the issue of violence against women said at least 8,539 women became victims of violence in 2011, an increase of over six percent compared to 2010.
The report said the figure was 8,000 in 2010, 8,548 in 2009 and 7,571 in 2008, the Online news agency reported.
Sexual assaults increased by around 48 percent, acid throwing increased by 37 percent, honour killings by 26 percent and domestic violence increased by 25 percent.
The report, however, said that in many cases, police complaints were not lodged, which reflected lack of confidence among citizens to approach the authorities.
Among the total 8,539 incidents in 2011, police complaints were registered in only 6,745 cases.
Out of total, 6,188 incidents were reported in Punjab, 1,316 in Sindh, 694 in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, 198 in Balochistan, and 148 in the Islamabad Capital Territory.
- Alarming increase in incidents of honour killings: Pak rights organization - Jan 05, 2011
- 7,571 incidents of violence against Pak women reported in 2008 - Aug 13, 2009
- Now Pakistani men face revenge acid attacks from women - May 12, 2012
- Violence against women rises in Pakistan - Jan 15, 2012
- Crimes against women up by 18 percent in Pakistan - Aug 06, 2011
- Replacing rape with sexual assault: activists welcome move (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Pakistani daily laments acid attacks - Apr 09, 2012
- Intoxication fuels sexual aggression - Sep 08, 2011
- Rapes assuming epidemic proportions in Pak's Sindh province - Jan 21, 2011
- 60,000 flood victims suffering from epidemics in Balochistan - Sep 06, 2010
- Sexual assaults on the rise at US military academies - Dec 28, 2011
- Disabled men face far greater odds of sexual abuse - Oct 11, 2011
- Replace rape with sexual assault, cabinet proposes - Jul 20, 2012
- Men too 'suffer psychological trauma from partner abuse' - Apr 08, 2011
- Hong Kong may soon have a million companies - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: annual report, aurat foundation, authorities, balochistan, citizens, domestic violence, feb 14, governmental organisation, honour killings, islamabad capital territory, khyber, lack of confidence, news agency, pakistani women, police complaints, sexual assault, sexual assaults, sindh, victims of violence, violence against women