834,000 civilians displaced in Pakistan due to Swat operation : UNMay 15th, 2009 - 5:13 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, May 15 (ANI): The Swat military operation against the Taliban and other extremist groups in the region has displaced over 834,000 civilians till now, the United Nations has said.
“Some 834,000 IDPs (internally displaced people) have been registered so far. This is a massive, massive displacement in the world today,” the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Antonio Guterres said.
The number of refugees has shot up drastically by about 163,000 since Wednesday, as the military intensified its offensive leaving thousands of civilians homeless.
Guterres, who visited a refugee camp in Swabi District of the region, appealed the international community to help Pakistan, as it is facing one of the worst crises in its history.
“Pakistan is passing through a difficult period. The international community should come forward and help Pakistan. I cannot give a figure but they need a lot of help,” the Dawn quoted Guterres, as saying.
UN refugee agency spokeswoman, Ariane Rummery said that 835,226 people have been now registered since May 2.
The Human Rights Watch has already warned that with more than 1.3 million people displaced, Pakistan is facing its biggest movement of people after it parted away from India in 1947.The partition had witnessed migration of millions or people between both the countries. (ANI)
- Military operation in Pakistan may displace 600,000 people - Jun 08, 2012
- UN deplores killing of Somali refugee leader at Kenya camp - Jan 01, 2012
- Over 300,000 Pakistanis displaced in conflict, says UN - May 12, 2009
- UN says more than 670,000 people left Swat, Malakand due to fighting - May 13, 2009
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- More people flee Swat as Pakistan battles Taliban - May 15, 2009
- Pakistani villagers rejoice at Taliban retreat - May 16, 2009
- Over 160,000 'flood affected' people in Pakistan still displaced: UN spokesman - Jan 26, 2011
- Pakistan's displaced cross 500,000 mark, Rs.1 bn released for relief (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 12, 2009
- Jolie donates $100,000 to help refugees - Jun 21, 2012
- 100,000 people displaced in Pakistan this year - Mar 31, 2012
- Denmark helps Pakistanis displaced by terror - Jun 03, 2012
- Situation in Cote d'Ivoire remains volatile: UN spokesman - Mar 29, 2011
- Over 750,000 people became refugees in 2011 - Dec 07, 2011
- Worries not over for Pakistanis fleeing Waziristan assault - Oct 21, 2009
Tags: 163, antonio guterres, ariane, civilians, crises, difficult period, displacement, extremist groups, high commissioner, history pakistan, human rights watch, islamabad, military operation, partition, refugee agency, refugee camp, spokeswoman, swat, un high commissioner for refugees, world today