80 killed in Afghan suicide bombingFebruary 17th, 2008 - 4:50 pm ICT by admin
Kabul, Feb 17 (ANI): At least 80 people have been killed in a suicide bomb attack in the Afghan city of Kandahar.
The blast - the deadliest so far this year in Afghanistan - hit people watching a dog-fighting competition.
“Sixty of the martyrs were brought to hospitals and 20 more dead bodies were taken from the site,” Kandahar Governor Assadullah Khalid told reporters.
“This suicide attack was the work of the Taliban,” Khalid said.
However, the Taliban has not admitted the blast. But it bears all their hallmarks, the BBC reported.
They have a significant presence in the area from where they carry out suicide attacks and roadside bomb blasts.
Last week, the Kandahar Governor himself was the target of an attempt on his life.
“The match was going on and all of a sudden the explosion went off,” said witness Abdul Rahman.
Body parts were scattered in the area as paramedics rushed the wounded to hospitals. (ANI)
Tags: afghanistan, bbc, body parts, bomb blasts, dead bodies, explosion, hallmarks, hospitals, kabul, kandahar, khalid, martyrs, paramedics, roadside bomb, suicide attack, suicide attacks, suicide bomb attack, suicide bombing, taliban, target