761 Pakistanis in Indian jails: ReportFebruary 15th, 2011 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 15 (IANS) As many as 761 Pakistanis, including 18 defence personnel, are lodged in Indian jails, according to a report presented in the National Assembly. “As of January 2011, 761 Pakistanis are in Indian jails - 698 of them are civilians, 45 fishermen and 18 defence personnel,” said the foreign affairs division report.
Dawn reported Tuesday that the charges against civilian prisoners range from illegal and inadvertent border crossings to visa violations such as overstay and travel to cities not mentioned in the permit.
The Pakistani fishermen were arrested by Indian authorities on charges of illegal fishing.
The document mentioned that Islamabad regularly raised the issue of their repatriation.
Dawn said that a judicial committee on prisoners has been set up to ensure their humane treatment and expeditious release.
The committee held its initial meeting in February 2008 and thereafter visited Indian prisoners in Pakistani jails in June and Pakistani prisoners in India in August the same year to enable quicker release of those who had completed their sentences.
Both countries signed an agreement on consular access May 21, 2008.
- 761 Pakistanis currently detained in Indian prisons: Qureshi - Feb 04, 2011
- Pakistani daily seeks mechanism on prisoners' repatriation - Apr 16, 2012
- Pakistan releases 180 Indian prisoners (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- India, Pak look to fast track release of each others' fishermen - Apr 23, 2011
- Pak releases 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 15, 2011
- Don't deprive Pakistani prisoners of rights, dignity: Apex court - Feb 28, 2012
- 190 Pakistanis deported from US during last two years following detention - Feb 04, 2011
- India urges Pakistan to free its fishermen - Aug 03, 2011
- Pakistan holding 74 Indian defence men since 1971: Ahmed - Aug 23, 2012
- Release prisoners who have completed term: Pakistan-India panel - Apr 23, 2011
- Pakistan releases 18 Indian fishermen - May 23, 2012
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- Pak to free 89 Indian prisoners on Friday - Apr 13, 2011
- India sends home 17 Pakistani nationals - Mar 26, 2010
- Justify detention of Indian fishermen: Pakistan apex court - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: affairs division, border crossings, civilian prisoners, civilians, dawn, fishermen, fishing, foreign affairs, India, indian authorities, indian prisoners, jails, judicial committee, national assembly, overstay, pakistanis, repatriation, sentences, visa