70 LTTE rebels killedMay 17th, 2009 - 3:07 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
70 LTTE rebels killed as rumors circulate of Tamil Tiger leadership suicide pact
The Sri Lankan army says it has killed up to 70 Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), or Tamil Tigers as they are more commonly termed, trying to flee across a shallow lagoon using six boats.
A military spokesman said remnants of the LTTE, believed to be just a few hundred fighters, are trapped in a shrinking war zone measuring just one square kilometer cut off from all escape on a sandy coastal spit.
At the same time as the Sri Lankan military prepare a final assault against the recalcitrant rebels, rumours are rife in the capital, Colombo, that the 54-year-old LTTE leader, Velupillai Prabhakaran, along with more than 300 of his deputies and senior cadres, have committed suicide in the Mullivaaikkaal area of Karaithuraipatru AGA division of Mullaitheevu district.
The Sri Lankan government reports that 25,000 civilians have fled the conflict zone in the past 72 hours, but an unknown number remain trapped.
Aid agencies in Colombo, including the United Nations, are warning there could be as many as 50,000 people caught in what they describe as “an unimaginable hell” as the fighting closes in around them.
The Government says it will not negotiate with the rebels until they surrender.
- LTTE leader Prabhakaran reported dead as Tamil Tigers surrender - May 17, 2009
- LTTE's Prabhakaran shot dead along with leading cadre - May 18, 2009
- Sri Lanka captures last stretch of rebel-held coast (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Prabhakaran to blame for LTTE's demise, says Karuna - Dec 14, 2010
- Sri Lanka refuses entry to Indian politicians - Feb 22, 2011
- LTTE chief Prabhakaran dead, claims Lankan army - May 17, 2009
- Sri Lankan military takes last stretch of LTTE-held coast (Second Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Yechuri wants 'justice' for Tamils - Mar 13, 2012
- Prabhakaran's father to be cremated Sunday - Jan 09, 2010
- Ahead of elections, pro-LTTE journal attacks Karunanidhi - Apr 11, 2011
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Prabhakaran's mother dies in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- LTTE leader Prabhakaran, son and five other leaders dead - May 18, 2009
Tags: aga, cadres, capital colombo, conflict zone, deputies, government reports, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte leader, ltte rebels, military spokesman, shallow lagoon, square kilometer, sri lankan army, sri lankan government, suicide pact, tamil tiger, tamil tigers, unknown number, war zone